8 Dec 2019
Hi. What does the underlined part mean?
I found two meanings of it.
1) How dare you!/ How could you?
2) What are you going to do about this?
Which is the correct meaning here?
Thank you.
773F91AC-D59B-4730-B7C8-EBC7D25DE2D1.jpeg

You shouldn't think of it as an expression with two separate, completely unrelated meanings. It's a single Japanese expression that might be translated idiomatically in English in different ways depending on the context. Can't you determine for yourself what the speaker means based upon the context in which it's being said?

Thank you. I think its meaning in this context is "What should I do in this situation?", but I'm not sure. I think the two meanings mentioned in op are also valid here. Besides, I want to know what the expression originally means?

zuotengdazuo said:
Thank you. I think its meaning in this context is "What should I do in this situation?", but I'm not sure.
Why are you interpreting it as "What should *I* do" now? Unlike the two interpretations you posted above, that is one interpretation that is never valid, because してくれる clearly marks it as talking about the other person's actions. ("What should I do?" would be どうすればいい or どうしたらいい, etc.)

(edited to add: that interpretation also doesn't make sense because of the following 琴里に不満をこぼした. "What should I do?" is not an expression of displeasure with 琴里.)

zuotengdazuo said:
I think the two meanings mentioned in op are also valid here. Besides, I want to know what the expression originally means?
That is precisely the point I was trying to make, i.e. that the two "meanings" in the OP are just two different English renditions of what is essentially the same underlying sentiment (the speaker is unhappy with something the other person has done and expects them to "make up" for it somehow).

Thank you again. I see. So is どうしてくれんだ the same as どうしてくれるんだ?

Yes. You must have come across るの, るな and るん are contracted to んの, んな and ん, respectively, in colloquial/slangy speech.
e.g.
今何してるの --> 今何してんの
そんなに慌てて食べるなよ --> そんなに慌てて食べんな
これからどうするんだよ --> これからどうすだよ

Sorry. Somehow it didn't even occur to me that you might not be recognizing どうしてくれんだ as a slangy/contracted form of どうしてくれるんだ. (I think I even read the phrase as どうしてくれるんだ when I first glanced at the passage.)

Back
Top Bottom