What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

~ていく

healer

Sempai
Reaction score
大人になっていく過程で、いつも、日本社会がどんなものであるのか、日本とはどんな国か、想像を膨らませてもいたと思います。

The sentence is talking about the past, but the only verb that is in perfect tense is 膨らませてもいた.
Should 大人になっていく過程で be 大人になっていった過程で instead?
So are the next two verbs. Should であるのか be であったのか and the following か be だったか?
Can it be rewritten for the same meaning as 大人になっていった過程で、いつも、日本社会がどんなものであったのか、日本とはどんな国だったか、想像を膨らませてもいたと思います。

Can 日本社会がどんなものであるのか be rewritten to be 日本社会がどんなものか?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Should 大人になっていく過程で be 大人になっていった過程で instead?
No. なっていった can be used but なっていく is more natural.

So are the next two verbs. Should であるのか be であったのか and the following か be だったか?
No and no.

Can it be rewritten for the same meaning as 大人になっていった過程で、いつも、日本社会がどんなものであったのか、日本とはどんな国だったか、想像を膨らませてもいたと思います。
No.

Can 日本社会がどんなものであるのか be rewritten to be 日本社会がどんなものか?
It's understandable, but those two expressions are not the same in nuance.

Have you ever learned the Japanese tense system properly from textbooks or something? Have you never seen the present form is used for a past event or the past form is used in a present or future event so far?

healer

Sempai
Reaction score
It's understandable, but those two expressions are not the same in nuance.
Am I right the former is usually used for written purpose like in reports and papers and the latter is causal form?

Have you ever learned the Japanese tense system properly from textbooks or something? Have you never seen the present form is used for a past event or the past form is used in a present or future event so far?
I have learnt that the tense is always based on the main verb. I have also learnt the verbs that go with とare always in the present tense. Having said that I have also come across verbs not in the main part of sentence set out in the perfect tense. Perhaps my learning is incomplete in this respect. I need to know when the verbs can be in present tense while referring to the past.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Well, I don't think it's explained in a single chapter or something. It's usually taught through several topics like tense in conditional clauses, tense in modifying clauses, temporal order between the subordinate and main clause, etc., etc. in textbooks. You need to learn it through these topics, not like the way by searching "when the verbs can be in present tense while referring to the past".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom