What's new

ってる / も / ところ / 見まもって

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi

1. I'd like to do a sanity check on my understanding that the sentences on the left are contracted versions of those on the right:

雨がすごく降ってる。 = 雨がすごく降ってる。
じゃ、急いでるから先にいくね。 = じゃ、急いでるから先にいくね。
けんじに聞いて知ってたけど... = けんじに聞いて知っていたけど...
どこに住んでるの。 = どこに住んでるの。

2. あの薬屋では化粧品の販売もしています。

Translation given: "That drugstore also sells cosmetics". Could this also mean: "That drugstore even sells cosmetics"? When も is used in this way, does Japanese make any distinction between the two?

3. おかあさんは、合計いくらと書くところへ、その赤ん坊の絵をかきました。

Does ところ refer to a place (i.e, a page in her notebook) or does it refer to a time (i.e., the time when she should have been doing the sums)?

4. ...おとうさんを見まもっていました。

How do we parse 見まもって?

1. I'd like to do a sanity check on my understanding that the sentences on the left are contracted versions of those on the right:
雨がすごく降ってる。 = 雨がすごく降ってる。
じゃ、急いでるから先にいくね。 = じゃ、急いでるから先にいくね。
けんじに聞いて知ってたけど... = けんじに聞いて 知ってたけど...
どこに住んでるの。 = どこに住んでるの。
All correct.

2. あの薬屋では化粧品の販売もしています。
Translation given: "That drugstore also sells cosmetics". Could this also mean: "That drugstore even sells cosmetics"? When も is used in this way, does Japanese make any distinction between the two?
That "even" is generally translated to さえ.

化粧品さえ販売しています。

3. おかあさんは、合計いくらと書くところへ、その赤ん坊の絵をかきました。
Does ところ refer to a place (i.e, a page in her notebook) or does it refer to a time (i.e., the time when she should have been doing the sums)?
The former. 合計いくらと書くところ means "when."

4. ...おとうさんを見まもっていました。
How do we parse 見まもって?
The -te form of 見守る.

With respect to inflections I fully recommend J_Inflect, it's only 1 MB and so far it has always found anything I entered in.
Writing is in "Nihon romaji", though. し is written "si" and しゃ is written "sya", see documentation.txt for details.
Try for "rconj mimamotte" and see the result. Use "rconj -a" for adjetives.

Back
Top Bottom