What's new

だと

staren

先輩
9 Nov 2011
Hello everyone.

I came across this sentence:
日本だと通勤1時間は珍しくないのです。

The part that has me a little confused is 日本だと. Is this the declarative combined with the conditional と?
If so, can the meaning be like: "If it is Japan", or maybe more natural, in "in regards to Japan"?

If that だと where to be replaced with なら, so it would read 日本なら通勤1時間は珍しくないのです, what would
the difference in translation be?

Yeah, it can be rephrased to 日本なら(ば), 日本だったら, 日本であれば. Unlike だと, these conditionals have more strong sense of "contrast", something like "this is common in Japan, but uncommon in...". So, the example sentence is more close to 日本では, I think.

Yeah, it can be rephrased to 日本なら(ば), 日本だったら, 日本であれば. Unlike だと, these conditionals have more strong sense of "contrast", something like "this is common in Japan, but uncommon in...". So, the example sentence is more close to 日本では, I think.

Sorry but I didn't quite understand you phrasing. Do you mean that with だた it can be translated like "this is common in Japan, but uncommon in..."?

These conditionals don't have an implication of "if" in this case, more likely are used for contrasting as in では. I mean I feel the sense of contrasting of だとis least among them.

Back
Top Bottom