しといて / 自分でやってよ... / としている

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hello,

1. それじゃ、私の分もコピーしといてくれる?

My translation: "Well, could you make a (photo)copy for me too?"

Is しといて = して + おいて?

2. Two students are studying for an exam, and the girl is trying to get the boy to make a copy of some study notes for her (I think). The conversation continues:

男: えっ?自分でやってよ。忙しいんだから。
女:
そんなこと言わないでよ。あ、この辞書、ちょっと借りるね。辞書は重いから、持ってくるのが大変なのよね。
男:
今使ってるんだけど・・・。
女: すぐ返すから。それじゃ、コピー、お願いね。
男: あ~あ。

My translation:

Boy: Huh? Do it (i.e. copy the notes) yourself. I'm busy, see...
Girl: Don't say that. Ah, I'll just borrow this dictionary. Dictionaries are heavy, so they're a nuisance to bring.
Boy: But I'm using it at the moment...
Girl: I'll return it soon. Well, will you do the copies for me?
Boy: *Sigh*!

Apart from any other mistakes:

a) Does 自分でやってよ mean "do it yourself"? Could it mean "I'm doing it for myself" (i.e. not doing copying for you too)?

b) What is the "mood" of the verb in この辞書、ちょっと借りるね? Is it expressing intent, asking a question, or what?

c) In 辞書は重いから、持ってくるのが大変なのよね, is the girl explaining why she hasn't brought her own dictionary and so needs to borrow one?

d) Is あ~あ expressing exasperation?

3. 彼はボディビルが趣味というだけあって体がガシッとしている。

Translation given: "Bodybuilding is his hobby so he has a very firm tight body with lots of muscle definition."

Does としている here mean something like "looks like...", "feels like...", or similar?

1. それじゃ、私の分もコピーしといてくれる?

My translation: "Well, could you make a (photo)copy for me too?"

Is しといて = して + おいて?

Yes.

2. Two students are studying for an exam, and the girl is trying to get the boy to make a copy of some study notes for her (I think). The conversation continues:

男: えっ?自分でやってよ。忙しいんだから。
女:
そんなこと言わないでよ。あ、この辞書、ちょっと借り るね。辞書は重いから、持ってくるのが大変なのよね。
男:
今使ってるんだけど・・・。
女: すぐ返すから。それじゃ、コピー、お願いね。
男: あ~あ。

My translation:

Boy: Huh? Do it (i.e. copy the notes) yourself. I'm busy, see...
Girl: Don't say that. Ah, I'll just borrow this dictionary. Dictionaries are heavy, so they're a nuisance to bring.
Boy: But I'm using it at the moment...
Girl: I'll return it soon. Well, will you do the copies for me?
Boy: *Sigh*!

Apart from any other mistakes:

a) Does 自分でやってよ mean "do it yourself"? Could it mean "I'm doing it for myself" (i.e. not doing copying for you too)?

b) What is the "mood" of the verb in この辞書、ちょっと借りるね? Is it expressing intent, asking a question, or what?

c) In 辞書は重いから、持ってくるのが大変なのよね, is the girl explaining why she hasn't brought her own dictionary and so needs to borrow one?

d) Is あ~あ expressing exasperation?

a) It simply means "do it yourself".
Whether it could imply "I'm doing it for myself (not for you)" really depends on what he is doing when he said 自分でやってよ.

b) Appearing asking for permission, but actually doing it before getting permission.
So it is more like expressing intent.

c) Yes.

d) Yes. I think your translation ("sign") is very good for this situation.

3. 彼はボディビルが趣味というだけあって体がガシッとし ている。

Translation given: "Bodybuilding is his hobby so he has a very firm tight body with lots of muscle definition."

Does としている here mean something like "looks like...", "feels like...", or similar?

している means "(actually) is".
looks like... しているようにみえる
feels like...しているように感じられる

Back
Top Bottom