What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

さながらに vs さながらの

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
Reaction score
8016D642-33E6-45DE-96F2-8FF8431B538A.jpeg

Hi. I think we can also use さながらの in the underlined part. But I’m not sure about the さながらに. Does the の (if used) modify 剣呑 while the に modify であった?
Thank you.

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
While you're correct that the difference between に and の would indeed be that the former connects to a predicate and the latter to a noun, 剣呑 is a な-adjective, not a noun, so they would not be interchangeable here. (If it were 猛禽さながらの剣呑, or the like, that would be a different story.)

In a case where you have a noun and a predicate to connect to, a situation like the one you describe could occur, like in the following example sentence from this page:

上海の街中でスパイ小説さながらのドラマが始まっていた。
上海の街中でスパイ小説さながらドラマが始まっていた

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
What dictionary is that?

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
Reaction score
What dictionary is that?

It’s a Japanese-Chinese dictionary. It might not be as authoritative as the online dictionary you quoted.

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I'm not just trying to discredit or disparage your dictionary, but if you don't tell me what dictionary it is or cite any specific examples it gives showing 剣呑 used as a regular noun, there's really nothing I can say, right?

Without any specific evidence to the contrary, I'm inclined to trust the Japanese-Japanese dictionaries that specifically list the word as a 形容動詞 with 剣呑さ being the related noun form. (Which is the only usage that I have personally encountered the word as well, though again, I'm not a native speaker, so perhaps my experience is limited.)

出典:デジタル大辞泉(小学館) said:
けん‐のん【剣×呑/険▽難】 の解説
形動][文][ナリ]《「けんなん(剣難)」の音変化という》危険な感じがするさま。また、不安を覚えるさま。
「金は欲しいだろうが、そんな―な思い迄して借りる必要もあるまいからね」〈漱石・道草〉
[派生]けんのんがる[動ラ五]けんのんさ[名]

出典:『三省堂 大辞林 第三版』 said:
けん・のん [0][3]【剣吞▼・険難▽・険吞▼】
形動) [文] ナリ
〔「剣難」の転かという〕
あぶないさま。不安なさま。 「直ぐ欄(てすり)の倒れるやうな-なものは出来上らんと思ふがね/酒中日記 独歩」
[派生] -が・る ( 動ラ五[四] ) -さ ( 名 )

Last edited:

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
Reaction score
This is a snapshot of the entry of 剣呑 in my dictionary where 剣呑 is listed as a noun/adjective. But it does not give any examples, unfortunately.
A6165189-6C2E-48F7-9FBC-2F0D1D09621B.png

Top Bottom