What's new

ご利用いただけません question

killerinsidee

先輩
14 Dec 2013
I need a confirmation about this phrase. I've seen it quite a lot(usually on youtube as この動画はお住まいの地域ではご利用いただけません。). Is this basically (ご)利用してもらえない, i.e., "i get the benefit of you using/watching something" (speaker/writer's action)? Using 謙譲語 for referring to someone else's action would be wrong.
Sorry about the silly questions lately. :<

Thank you in advance.

YouTube can't receive the favor of your watching the videos, hence the verb choice. It is a way of phrasing or expressing the situation that would never occur to an English speaker.

If it were from the viewpoint of the other guy it would simply be 利用出来ません

For もらえない to work at all you'd have to change it to 利用させてもらえない, which I don't think you would ever see.

So basically my idea of "(youtube) can't get the benefit of you using/watching something" is correct, but もらう can't be just attached to 利用 directly like いただく can? I always thought もらう and いただく were interchangeable in like all cases. Is there any special reason why 利用してもらえない wouldn't work like 利用いただけません from youtube's point of view (not taking politeness into account)? Or did I misunderstand something?

Last edited:
So basically my idea of "(youtube) can't get the benefit of you using/watching something" is correct, but もらう can't be just attached to 利用 directly like いただく can? I always thought もらう and いただく were interchangeable in like all cases. Is there any special reason why 利用してもらえない wouldn't work like 利用いただけません from youtube's point of view (not taking politeness into account)? Or did I misunderstand something?

You're probably misunderstanding something.

They're grammatically interchangeable, but that doesn't mean they mean the same thing and would be used in the same circumstances. It is unimaginable that YouTube would use もらえない there simply as a matter of politeness. That's why I assumed your example with it was meant to be seen from the viewpoint of the user and not YouTube.

ご利用 is a noun and doesn't need する (although it can have it). It is also polite and the ご would clash with both もらう and the plain 〜ない ending that you propose. That's why it doesn't work there. There are social considerations involved in constructing Japanese sentences that you just don't have to think about for English sentences.

Using 謙譲語 for referring to someone else's action would be wrong.
謙譲語 can be used for second or third person's action.

文化庁「敬語の指針」
第3章 敬語の具体的な使い方
第2 敬語の適切な選び方
5 「いただく」と「くださる」の使い方の問題 (P40)
【17】いつも,「御利用いただきましてありがとうございます。」と言ったり,書
いたりしているのだが,「御利用くださいまして」の方が良いのだろうか。
どちらが適切なのだろうか。

【解説1】「御利用いただく」は謙譲語Ⅰ,「御利用くださる」は尊敬語である。つまり,
「(自分側が相手側や第三者に)御利用いただく」,「(相手側や第三者が)御利用くだ
さる」という基本的な違いがある。しかし,立てるべき対象は,どちらも同じであり,
また,恩恵を受けるという認識を表す点も同様であるため,どちらの言い方も適切に
敬語が用いられているものである。