What's new

お疲れ様 and お早うございます during the day

4 Apr 2014
I notice that often times coworkers give each other an お疲れ様 or お早うございます aisatsu during the day (i.e お早う even past afternoon and お疲れ様 without anyone about to leave)
From what i figured so far, お早うございます is acceptable any time of day if one meets a coworker for the first time during the day. お疲れ様 may be used as many times during the day with the same person as one wishes, as long as it's not お疲れ様でした (which would naturally imply that someone has finished the work for the day)

Could someone confirm or overturn my conclusions, and while we're at it point out where does ご苦労様 stand related to お疲れ様. Are they completely interchangeable as a greeting, saying goodbye and expressing gratitude?

From what i figured so far, お早うございます is acceptable any time of day if one meets a coworker for the first time during the day.
Not really. おはようございます is used only in morning. It's used as "hello" only in 芸能界(show business).

Could someone confirm or overturn my conclusions, and while we're at it point out where does ご苦労様 stand related to お疲れ様. Are they completely interchangeable as a greeting, saying goodbye and expressing gratitude?
ご苦労様 has a nuance of "from superior to subordinate" except when ご苦労様です/でした is said by the one who got service. Thus, it's less common than お疲れ様(です) as a greeting.

Not really. おはようございます is used only in morning. It's used as "hello" only in 芸能界(show business).
I've heard it used even in the afternoon when people show up to start their shift. This is in a typical corporate office environment.

Edit: cash get the link to work.

Last edited:
Ah, yes, I forgot shift workers' case, but it's not "any time of day if one meets a coworker for the first time during the day" anyway.

Mike, mdchachi, Toritoribe, thank you for sharing your observations and explanations. So it won't be unusual to exchange お早うございます in case of a shift change at 20:00, say as a フロント係 at a hotel?

I think it differs depending on the office, after all. Some might use おはようございます, and some might use お疲れ様です (especially when said from the one who has come to the office to the one who is already at the office).

Mike, mdchachi, Toritoribe, thank you for sharing your observations and explanations. So it won't be unusual to exchange お早うございます in case of a shift change at 20:00, say as a フロント係 at a hotel?

Not at all. I would expect both おはようございます and お疲れ様 to be used.

Let's say A is arriving to relieve B:

A おはようございます
B おはようございます
Some talking back and forth
B お先に(失礼します)
A お疲れ様

Naturally, there are various colloquial permutations one would encounter but that's typical enough to serve as a template.

In my company, with people both starting and ending their workday at various times throughout the day and night with no real set schedule it is sometimes hard to always know exactly who is coming and who is going. If is not unusual to greet someone with おはようございます, then ask and learn they are finishing their day rather than starting and to then follow with お疲れ様. It can be a jumble sometimes.

Let's say A is arriving to relieve B:

A おはようございます
B おはようございます
Some talking back and forth
B お先に(失礼します)
A お疲れ様

Naturally, there are various colloquial permutations one would encounter but that's typical enough to serve as a template.
That's exactly how i imagined the situation. I think i get it now.

Interesting thread. I have never encountered that though I have never worked anywhere where shift work is done.

I wonder about hospitals?

The only time I have actual seen/heard this is with mizushobai

Back
Top Bottom