What's new

いまの時代にも ... / 女の仕事がふえた社会 ...

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

A couple more sentences that I'm struggling with...

1. いまの時代にも、昔と同じに主婦の仕事をするのを専業 主婦というようになりました。

I don't understand the grammatical structure of this sentence. If ようになりました means "it has come about that ...", then the thing that has come about would seem to be 昔と同じに主婦の仕事をするのを専業主婦という, and I do not see what is the main verb here: the phrase just seems to be "noun を noun". I think I must have it all wrong. Can someone point me in the right direction?

2. 女の仕事がふえた社会に適応して一部の女は変身し、結 婚しても仕事をやめないことにしました。

My translation attempt: "Adapting to a society in which an increasing amount of work is done by women, some women transformed (their behaviour) and decided not to quit work even when they got married."

Is this correct?

Is 一部の女 the subject of 適応して?

1. いまの時代にも、昔と同じに主婦の仕事をするのを専業 主婦というようになりました。

I don't understand the grammatical structure of this sentence. If ようになりました means "it has come about that ...", then the thing that has come about would seem to be 昔と同じに主婦の仕事をするのを専業主婦という, and I do not see what is the main verb here: the phrase just seems to be "noun を noun". I think I must have it all wrong. Can someone point me in the right direction?

いまの時代にも modifies 昔と同じに主婦の仕事をする.
「いまの時代にも、昔と同じに主婦の仕事をする」 modifies の which stands for women.

「いまの時代にも、昔と同じに主婦の仕事をするの」 = object (thus takes the particle を)
「専業主婦」 complement
XXXを~という call/name xxx as ~

仕事をする: 仕事を is the object of the verbする
いまの・・・仕事をするのを専業主婦という: 「いまの・・・仕事をするの」 is the object of the verb (~と)いう.

2. 女の仕事がふえた社会に適応して一部の女は変身し、結 婚しても仕事をやめないことにしました。

My translation attempt: "Adapting to a society in which an increasing amount of work is done by women, some women transformed (their behaviour) and decided not to quit work even when they got married."

Is this correct?

Is 一部の女 the subject of 適応して?

Yes. You got it right! 👍

XXXを~という call/name xxx as ~
I think this is the key thing that I didn't understand. OK, let's try:

ようになりました = It's come about that

いう = (people) call

いまの時代にも、昔と同じに主婦の仕事をするのを = women who these days still do the work of the housewife the same as in the past

専業主婦と = "full-time housewives".

(i.e., such women are called "専業主婦")

Is this about right?

Not sure why no one here is brave enough to have responded saying that both those sentences, particularly the first one, are so poorly constructed that Japanese learners should not be using them to study grammar.

I think this is the key thing that I didn't understand. OK, let's try:

ようになりました = It's come about that

いう = (people) call

いまの時代にも、昔と同じに主婦の仕事をするのを = women who these days still do the work of the housewife the same as in the past

専業主婦と = "full-time housewives".

(i.e., such women are called "専業主婦")

Is this about right?

Yes, your interpretation is correct. :)

Not sure why no one here is brave enough to have responded saying that both those sentences, particularly the first one, are so poorly constructed that Japanese learners should not be using them to study grammar.
Oh. These sentences are from a textbook for Japanese learners. Could you explain what is wrong with them?

Back
Top Bottom