What's new

Yumi, related traditions to the name

Ur-Nammu

Registered
24 Jun 2018
Hi, I hope someone can help me, I have to take a gift to a friend of mine who has become a father, he is Italian and his wife is Japanese, and they called their daughter Yumi, I was wondering if there is a tied object in Japanese culture or tradition to this name. I would like to give him an original gift. Thank you. :emoji_fingers_crossed:

Hi, I hope someone can help me, I have to take a gift to a friend of mine who has become a father, he is Italian and his wife is Japanese, and they called their daughter Yumi, I was wondering if there is a tied object in Japanese culture or tradition to this name. I would like to give him an original gift. Thank you. :emoji_fingers_crossed:
There are a many ways to "spell" Yumi. If you can find out, you could surprise them and find something tied to the characters they use. Most likely the "MI" in their Yumi is 美 which means "beauty" but that's not for certain that this is the one they are using.

There are a many ways to "spell" Yumi. If you can find out, you could surprise them and find something tied to the characters they use. Most likely the "MI" in their Yumi is 美 which means "beauty" but that's not for certain that this is the one they are using.
I've asked, they used "friendship" and "beauty". Any suggestions?

I have to take a gift to a friend of mine who has become a father, he is Italian and his wife is Japanese, and they called their daughter Yumi, I was wondering if there is a tied object in Japanese culture or tradition to this name. I would like to give him an original gift.

As far as I know, there is no tradition in Japan by which gifts are tied to a person's name. If there were, it would likely include the family name as well, and Yumi's family name is almost certainly not Japanese.

Although not tied to any tradition, one idea for an original gift that relates to her name would be a Japanese name poem, such as the one shown in this post. On this poem, the two largest characters on the left-hand side are almost certainly the ones used in Yumi's name, based on what you wrote. This particular poem does not work in Yumi's case, as the characters in pink indicate the name "Tomomi", another way to read these two characters, but if you were to, for example, make these pink characters black like the others, it would work pretty well. If you are able to find a native Japanese speaker who does calligraphy for hire, you could have something like this generated. It would certainly be an original gift.

name-poem.png

Incidentally, I tried searching the web for a haiku poem which contains both characters in Yumi's name, but was unsuccessful in my initial attempt.

Speaking of tradition, if you really want to follow tradition you would give them money. Virtually all gifts for life events in Japan are in the form of money.

You could give a traditional Italian present, and connect it to the baby's name. I don't know what is traditional in Italy, but a website I browsed suggested silver. You could, for example, give a silver picture frame with the words friendship + beauty engraved in Italian. That would then connect the Japanese name with your country.

Back
Top Bottom