What's new

Yosegaki flag

Barrie

Registered
15 Aug 2016
Hi, Would someone be able to help me find out if this is a real Yosegaki flag or a fake.
It is supposed to come from a Japanese Sergeant and the family has passed away.
I did want to know if it is real first of all and then is anybody able to help me interpret some of the messages if they are real ? If it is real I am very interested in following up the history of the sergeant who owned it.
I appreciate anyone who can offer me any help with this.
I can post some better pictures of the flag if need be.
Thank you, regards Barrie
Flag 1.jpg
Flag 2.jpg

Hello Barrie,
Its a bit hard to see because of the distance and the waves in the cloth. It looks real enough to me from the way the writing is oriented on the flag, and the penmanship. At the top, the big letters read (from right to left) 祈武運長久 - good luck in battle. The rest of the marks are mostly names, but there are a some patriotic phrases and there are some lines on the right hand side that look to be from the sender. It bears the name of an official prefectural shrine Hachimangu - it might refer to this one
Iwashimizu Hachimangū - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
but I am not 100% sure.
The flag purports to be the item of Infantry Sergeant Yoshiteru NAKAO.

There's a newspaper article in the corner. Presumably it has information about the flag, the sergeant, or both. Why on earth would you not include a close-up photo of the article?

Hello Barrie,
Its a bit hard to see because of the distance and the waves in the cloth. It looks real enough to me from the way the writing is oriented on the flag, and the penmanship. At the top, the big letters read (from right to left) 祈武運長久 - good luck in battle. The rest of the marks are mostly names, but there are a some patriotic phrases and there are some lines on the right hand side that look to be from the sender. It bears the name of an official prefectural shrine Hachimangu - it might refer to this one
Iwashimizu Hachimangū - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
but I am not 100% sure.
The flag purports to be the item of Infantry Sergeant Yoshiteru NAKAO.
Hi Majestic, Thank you so much for this information. The original frame has been ruined and the flag is now being reframed. Now that it looks to be a real flag I will pay the extra for the professionally framing. I will send through some other pictures when it is not wrinkled and kindly ask what other information you can read. Regards Barrie

There's a newspaper article in the corner. Presumably it has information about the flag, the sergeant, or both. Why on earth would you not include a close-up photo of the article?
Hi Mike, I don't have the newspaper article in my possession at the moment, it is with the picture framing company. When I get it back I will post a thread and show a close up of the writing.
It is a photo copy of the newspaper article, perhaps the original newspaper was ruined. I am interested in any help I can receive regarding translation and the history of this Sergeant. You make a good point about the article should have more information. I will send it through as soon as I have it. Thanks regards Barrie

I can see three more patriotic slogans, two on the right edge and one on the left side of the flag; 一死報國 Isshihōkoku dying for the country, 至誠報國 Shiseihōkoku sincere loyalty to the country. and 必勝 Hisshō certain victory.

Thank you Toritoribe for your information, I appreciate it. When I get the flag back I will post a close up picture of the Newspaper clipping, it will be interesting for me to know if there is more information about Sergeant Yoshiteru NAKAO

CCI25082016_0001.jpg
I have the photo of Sergeant Yoshiteru NAKAO and some more writing from the newspaper article that I would like help interpreting. Thank you all who have helped me so far and it will be interesting to know what the article has to say.

Attachments

• CCI25082016.jpg
    CCI25082016.jpg
    783.7 KB · Views: 163
It is an account of an action where Corporal Nakao helped his men up a steep cliff under fire.... and the article is cut off mid-sentence.

It is an account of an action where Corporal Nakao helped his men up a steep cliff under fire.... and the article is cut off mid-sentence.
Thanks Mike, is the part that has been cut off where it has been blacked out?

Thanks Mike, is the part that has been cut off where it has been blacked out?

That is a possibility.

One thing that is certain is that it is contemporary to the event. The language usage makes that clear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom