What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

WWII Era Japanese Flag: Real or Fake

Nigelorr

Registered
Reaction score
With all respect to a soldiers family

Can anyone tell me more about this flag. I know it's in very pour condition. It's made of silk and the ink used has rotted the silk away.

Any advice if real or fake

Attachments

• 20210714_125200.jpg
    20210714_125200.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 26

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
Looks fake, or possibly a post-WW2 souvenir made for a non-Japanese person.
The flag is loaded with foreign names in katakana, meaning this was never something that was written for a Japanese soldier.

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
Judging from the condition it's possible that it's from the postwar era. The flag is mostly katakana, probably occupying service member names? I agree it looks like a souvenir.

Hoskin (ホスキン) is the name in the center of the flag. Looks like Tokyo (東京) on the left, and it says ジャパン, Japan in katakana at the bottom. Some of the other stuff is hard to discern, at the top it says ライン and.. メゴウイヤ? Maybe meant to be Ryan McGuire or something along those lines? Almost makes me think this was maybe something a Japanese teacher or liaison gave to some service members who were learning how to write their names. But that's a wild guess.

The most info you can get from it would probably be from the blue ink on the bottom right. Looks like someone signed their name in English, and wrote "Yokohama," along with some other names in Japanese.

Nigelorr

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you... nice to have. Either way being made of silk I would have expected real as silk would have been hard to get... but I'm not a flag guy so way out of my limits..

Thank you again

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
Thank you... nice to have. Either way being made of silk I would have expected real as silk would have been hard to get... but I'm not a flag guy so way out of my limits..

Thank you again
"Real" is a relative term. It's a real flag, at least a few decades old by the looks of it.

Is it really from Japan, and was it really a souvenir some airman or soldier brought home? That's plausible.

Was it given to a Japanese soldier or pilot as a good luck charm that later became a war trophy? Definitely not.

Top Bottom