What's new

Help WWII aircraft factory recruiting poster

bldrhouse

後輩
16 Apr 2020
While this might be long, I'm hoping that the content is interesting enough to make it a worthwhile translation for another appreciator of Japanese graphics and ephemera.
I'm adding the link to the item for anyone who wants to see the entire poster; it is beautiful..
Link: Lot - JAPANESE AIRCRAFT FACTORY RECRUITING POSTER

1604084325824.png

募集要綱
作業、種類航空機造修
採用資格
年齢十六歳以上四十歳未満學力尋率以上轉廢業者入廠後養成
提出書類
志願書、之籍悉本、身分釜明書、芳務手帳寓真(半身脱帽)
身体検査、人物考査
試験期日
画民職業指導所場示スー志頼手鎖其ノ他詳編ハ最寄園民職業指導所付問合セノコト
國 民職業指導所

Last edited:
Thank you, but still in Japanese....

or is that a reformatting into more contemporary kanji?

z

this is the Google Translation, but obviously not quite correct.
Can anyone clarify?

I've marked the questionables with bold and italicized

Recruitment outline
Work type: aircraft repair
Recruitment qualification
Year bell 16 or more ("age" or "year of birth"?) and under 40 years old Tei Rikihiro rate or more
Documents to be submitted:
Application form, book of registration, status book, Hojo notebook, Hoshin (half-body fragile hat)
Physical examination, personal examination
Exam date
Sue Shiyori Hand Chain, etc. Details C. Inquiry with the nearest vocational guidance center
Painter Vocational Guidance Center

Thank you all again!

Yeah just quick and dirty Google translate/translation but Google app didn't read all the kanji correctly. I fixed a few manually but ran out of time. But you get the gist.

I fixed a few more. Not 100% but close enough I think.

募集要綱
作業、種類航空機造修
採用資格
年齢十六歳以上四十歳未満學力尋率以上轉廢業者入廠後養成
提出書類
志願書、戸籍謄本、身分證明書、芳務手帳寫真(半身脱帽)
採用試験
身体検査、人物考査
試験期日
國民職業指道所場示ス志頼手纈其、他詳細ハ最寄園民職業指導所二付問合セノコト
國民職業指導所

Recruitment outline
Work type aircraft repair
Recruitment qualification
Age 16 to 40 years old, Academic ability ? or higher, Training after entering
Documents to be submitted
Application form, family register copy, identification card, photo book, photograph (half-body, no hat)
Recruitment exam
Physical examination, personal examination
Exam date
National Vocational Guidance Center, etc. Details C. Nearest Vocational Guidance Center
National Vocational Guidance Center

Thanks so very much!

Was hoping for something more patriotic, but this is good info and lets me know what a civilian would have read and imagine what he thought about this opportunity.

If this kind of ephemera interests you, i can send you some to just see (no expectation of more of your good work).
Here's a funny one, offering American soldiers who surrender a ham (no Jewish soldiers in American military?).
A friend suggested that a hamburger, fries and a coke would have been more effective -- but just as mendacious (not to mention unavailable) -- in the miseries of the Pacific island war.

1.jpeg2.jpeg

Does Japanese use anything like commas, colons or semi-colons?
For example here:

Documents to be submitted
Application form,

Would there be a colon after "submitted" or a comma after "form," as there would be in English?
I keep a translation on the information page that I create for each item in my collection, so I truly appreciate your enlightening me.

The terrible contrast between the delicacy of so much of Japanese cultural esthetics and the perversion of Bushido as the Japanese military practiced it in those long years -- and as much as I know about the early militarization of the nation and as much as I understand the unimaginable power of the fear of being struck from family and village rolls in dishonor if one became a prisoner, and the resulting contempt for any POWs -- is so inexplicable and tragic.

Again, thank you.
Let me know if interested in seeing some others of this unique genre.

Zigy/Boulder, CO

Nitpicking

志願書、戸籍謄本、身分證明書、務手帳 寫真(半身脱帽) Labor Handbook
採用試験
身体検査、人物考査
試験期日
國民職業指示ス志他詳細ハ最寄民職業指導所二付問合セノコト Just fixing the kanji
Notice will be posted in the Citzen's Labor Guidance Centers. Please visit your nearest Citizen's Labor Guidance Center for application forms and other details.

The labor handbook was the precursor to the pension handbook, I guess, and old timers here will remember receiving a pension handbook from their place of employment when they got hired. The labor handbook stayed with you for life, and you needed it to get access to your pension. It was a flimsy thing, and I think most foreigners never realized how important it was (as they dropped out of the system once they left Japan). It was only sometime in the 90's that you could get some of your pension returned if you left the country. Actually, its a lot like the US social security card (another very flimsy thing, considering how important it is).

Edit: I see the labor office translated as "National Vocational Guidance Office" elsewhere.

Last edited:
The "Ticket to Armistice" doesn't explicitly offer a free ham. Its just instructions on how to surrender. Of course the graphic of the very "homey" oven-roasted ham was surely designed to tug at the homesick heartstrings of American army men.

Another nitpicking:

募集要綱
一.作業種類
航空機造修
一.採用資格
年齢十六歳以上四十歳未満學力尋以上 轉廢業者入廠後養成
一.提出書類
志願書、戸籍謄本、身分證明書、勞務手帳 寫眞(半身脱帽)
一.採用試験
身体検査、人物考査
一.試験期日
國民職業指導所掲示ス 志願手續其ノ他詳細ハ最寄國民職業指導所二付問合セノコト
國民職業指導所

尋卒 is the abbreviation of 常小学校業, i.e., graduated from Jinjō Elementary School (= elementary school in the old education system).

轉廢業者(= 転廃業者) refers to people who changed or closed their businesses.

The "Ticket to Armistice" doesn't explicitly offer a free ham. Its just instructions on how to surrender. Of course the graphic of the very "homey" oven-roasted ham was surely designed to tug at the homesick heartstrings of American army men.
Ha! Right; I realize that it was not a direct offer of a ham; however, surely a fine color image of the above-mentioned burger, fries and coke might be a bit more
distracting for a few more minutes than the ham.

Nitpicking

志願書、戸籍謄本、身分證明書、務手帳 寫真(半身脱帽) Labor Handbook
採用試験
身体検査、人物考査
試験期日
國民職業指示ス志他詳細ハ最寄民職業指導所二付問合セノコト Just fixing the kanji
Notice will be posted in the Citzen's Labor Guidance Centers. Please visit your nearest Citizen's Labor Guidance Center for application forms and other details.

The labor handbook was the precursor to the pension handbook, I guess, and old timers here will remember receiving a pension handbook from their place of employment when they got hired. The labor handbook stayed with you for life, and you needed it to get access to your pension. It was a flimsy thing, and I think most foreigners never realized how important it was (as they dropped out of the system once they left Japan). It was only sometime in the 90's that you could get some of your pension returned if you left the country. Actually, its a lot like the US social security card (another very flimsy thing, considering how important it is).

Edit: I see the labor office translated as "National Vocational Guidance Office" elsewhere.
Thank you! Always good to have the correct data. The auction house I deal with (Alexander Historical Auctions) is quite large and i'm surprised they don't bother to get a complete/correct translation of such items.

Back
Top Bottom