What's new

WW2 flag, 2 phrase translation request.

2AIF

Registered
2 Nov 2015
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone could help me on a flag that I recently found. I am a complete amature when it comes to translating but have managed to work out all the various slogans and such, but there seems to be 2 phrases that I cannot figure out so need a bit of help please.

I hope someone can help. Many thanks.

These are the images of the first one.
photos 051 star.JPG
photos 052.jpg

First one

自條會宛にて四季見舞、便り忘れるな
Don't forget to send seasonal greetings to Jijō-kai?
町南嶋八〇製糸内
? Possibly an address of some silk/thread factory?
兄より
From your older brother

My English translations are a best guess. I have no clue what/where Jijō-kai is, and nothing turns up in Google. The kanji in red is a guess. Looks like it ought to be 区, but the kanji on the flag has a different orientation.

Second one:

軍人を尊守しろ
Respect the martial spirit of his majesty's army
(This is a particular phrase - 軍人勅諭 - has historical significance from Meiji times).

The kanji in red seems to be a typo on the flag, as the right part (on the flag) is 召 instead of 力
The kanji next to that () has くくく in the place where リ should be, but perhaps this is an acceptable variation?
The phrase to the left of that is interesting... 女に負けるな
Just what kind of battlefield is this guy headed to??

Many many thank you's Mr Majestic. This has been an awesome help. From what I know the owner was headed to China. He was a transport soldier with the 36 corps from Aichi prefecture. Interestingly the above flag was written on both sides. A phenomena I had not yet encountered. Going off his other flag which I believe he received whilst in China he was some form of teacher.
His name is 麻田新八君, which can be seen partially on the flag below.

Again, many thanks for your help. Very much appreciated.
photos 012.jpg
photos 015.jpg

Haha, I just noticed that slogan. Very interesting. Maybe whoever wrote it had heard not nice things about the women wherever he was off to?

Mike,
I would not have an issue with that, except my dealer in Japan bought them off the former soldier's family. So kind of leaves me with very little alternative except to honour this soldiers service myself, hence the translation request.

Cheers.

Hi,
could someone please help me with a few phrase translations. Nothing too indepth just some slogans I am unfamiliar with.
Now I have the standard 祈武運長久Inori buun chōkyū phrase and 2 that are in the sun disk, 至誠奉公 = Serving with utmost sincerity and 東亞和平 = Peace in East Asia, but there are 2 that have still eluded me.

Right side: I think the top bit is "犬飼部隊 = Inukai Troops", but am just not sure what the rest says or if my translation is even correct.

The left side I have no clue whatsoever. I think it mentions Hubei in China, but could be mistaken.

I have provided lost of photos, so if any more are need please don't hesitate to ask.

Many thanks for the help. It is very much appreciated.
Sun 1.jpg

Sun 2.jpg

祈武運長久
Inoru buun chōkyū

精忠報國
Seichūhōkoku
Give all for the country

先生之徳
Sensei no toku
Your virtue

犬飼部隊
大行李長麻田先生留名紀念

湖北省應山縣廣水區十里河自治分會會長汪執中 敬贈

The flag was dedicated to Asada by Oh Shitsuchū, the president of the neighborhood community association of Jūrika, Kōsui District, Ōzan Prefecture, Kohoku (= Hubei) Province, China, probably in memory of his position advancement. 大行李長 seems to refer to a rank in the army.
The location is the present city of Guangshui.
Guangshui - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Toritoribe, Many many thanks for your help.
You were right with this '大行李長' being a rank. Army Logistics corporal I believe is its full meaning.
Now I've seen this pair of kanji (先生) crop up a few times and know that it means (Sensei) "teacher", is this what it means in reference to this flag or something totally different? So in the slogan,'先生之徳', that you have translated as "Your virtue" is that all that it means, or does it mean something along the lines of "Your virtuous teacher" etc.?

These kanji are also giving me some trouble(先生留名) I have checked my dictionary and the 2 red ones are utterly confusing me. What would their translation be in the above context?

Alternatively, could the two long strings of characters have a meaning in Chinese?

Sorry for all the questions. It's just a very interesting subject and want to learn as much as I can. Thank you.

You need to notice that the dedicator 汪執中 is a Chinese person. 先生 is just a polite suffix in Chinese language, just like さん in Japanese, and (well, at least usually) doesn't mean "teacher". 留名 means "remaining the name", and that's why I wrote "probably in memory of his position advancement".

Those two lines make sense both in Japanese and Chinese.

Back
Top Bottom