What's new

Would like to make a suggestion here....

KirinMan

後輩
23 Jan 2007
Today the thread on Back Seat Belting got locked because of quite a number of posts that were cheesy.

Ok I dont have too many problems with threads getting cheesy but when it forced the moderators here to close the thread I think that it went too far. I had questions posed to me in the thread that I was unable to respond to because the thread got locked down. That bothers me a bit.

Ok here is the suggestion, instead of locking the thread down permanently would it be possible to have the off topic related responses split off and create their own thread with a title of "Off topic replies from the So and So thread......". At least that way threads can stay relatively clean from responses that are way off topic and any and all unrelated posts can be moved to the Off Topic thread.

Plus if you take that one step further you could create a fora here called what ever is appropriate, but I would suggest calling it the Garbage Dumb, and move threads that were off topic there, where they eventually will die off from lack of participation.

Create the Garbage Dump and do not allow members to create new threads there, only to respond to off topic threads moved in their from other locations. Eventually the threads will die a life of their own and the boards stay fairly clean of well, garbage.

Just my 2 yen idea here....maybe someone can improve upon it.

This is actually not a bad idea. While I don't believe it will remedy the extreme responses to locking other threads, but for this situation when a decent thread is locked due to what you showed... it would provide something.

Heck, just deleting the posts would be an option too. No reason the post has to suffer.

This is actually not a bad idea. While I don't believe it will remedy the extreme responses to locking other threads, but for this situation when a decent thread is locked due to what you showed... it would provide something.

Heck, just deleting the posts would be an option too. No reason the post has to suffer.
Well I dont know about just deleting threads, because then you will have to suffer the possiblity that moderators will be accused of censorship based upon one thing or another.

By moving them and allowing the off topic discussion to continue at least people know that they are not being censored for one and two I have seen some off topic discussions on other forums become the seeds of other threads and topics as well.

Just have to wait till the management or moderators chime in here to see what they think.

Ok here is the suggestion, instead of locking the thread down permanently would it be possible to have the off topic related responses split off and create their own thread with a title of "Off topic replies from the So and So thread......".

The Japanese expression 窶堋ォ窶堙ィ窶堋ェ窶堙遺?堋「 immediately springs to mind.

The Japanese expression 窶堋ォ窶堙ィ窶堋ェ窶堙遺?堋「 immediately springs to mind.

lol! All I would say though is that once people realized that their comments were being broken off onto different threads I would hope that there would be a positive effect of getting people to stay on topic.

I guess I am forever the optimist.

Moderators should stop acting like supernannies here.
Members will take care of themselves just fine.

Supernanny

It does look like that thread got pretty out of control, and in that situation I think Kirinman's idea would have worked. Threads WILL get off-topic and that is when I can say moderators need to be involve in some ways, in ways that will keep the legitimate part of the thread going without locking it down and killing the conversation MORE than allowing it to go on with the distraction.

I don't remember this problem being around too much before, and I find it weird that thread went as far as it did when I've seen others (including mine) that get shut down even when they are on topic. More and more I think it gets down not to the board rules, but how they are being interpreted and sometimes twisted by those put in power.

I think Kirinman's idea has it's place. Most of all, I think the issue just gets down to restraint from both sides, and respect for keeping the topic going and other's various views of how issues may relate to the subject posted.

Hummmmm????

Supernanny

Maybe we should pass a rule that members can't use anonymous/untraceable IP's so previously banned members can't sneak back in?

Uncle Frank

:eek:

I'll tell you exactly why that thread got locked; and I had nothing to do with it. It got locked because a somewhat needed paradigm shift simply cannot seem to made.

Then, you have lack of self constraint in face of rules that are solidly on the books--without any effort to encourage crime prevention through public awareness. You mix these things together, and. . . there you have it.

Much, much better than splitting threads, deleting posts, punishing unscrupulousness, is the method of steady, yet gentile reminders that these are the rules here at JREF.

You are most incorrect in most cases, anomouse san, and correct in some cases. Overall, I agree with you in those few cases, because there will always be rotten apples in the basket; unfortunately.

EDIT: Emoni san, regardless of your misconception, it is not true that I locked your thread due to off-topicness. I locked it due to your non-respect of moderation--and that's the truth--and with the intention of opening it up once things will have been shifted out. That is not finished yet !

Last edited:
I'll tell you exactly why that thread got locked; and I had nothing to do with it. It got locked because a somewhat needed paradigm shift simply cannot seem to made.

Then, you have lack of self constraint in face of rules that are solidly on the books--without any effort to encourage crime prevention through public awareness. You mix these things together, and. . . there you have it.

Much, much better than splitting threads, deleting posts, punishing unscrupulousness, is the method of steady, yet gentile reminders that these are the rules here at JREF.
If this is the reason the thread got itself locking because people were unwilling to go with the shift, why werent the off topic replies then deleted to "remind" people about the rules here?

Ok, maybe from a Moderators point of view deleting posts is an easier method of moderating instead of having to go to the trouble of breaking off and splitting posts.

What if anything is the problem or wrong with the suggestion I made in the first place? New "rules" can be created as well to adapt to ever changing membership and situations.

Sure it may create more work for the moderators here, however from me, a member here, it beats the hell out of deleting posts and locking threads.

I am also not suggesting that deleting of posts be left by the wayside, just threads that have good information and or are having a fair reasonable discussion in them getting locked stifles the exchange and participation between members.

I like the idea, even though it will take time to create these threads... especially when posts it self will be split up as well.

I have put a thread about this in the staff section, and you will hear from us soon... I think ;)

Last edited:
I like the idea, even though it will take time to create these threads... especially when posts it self will be split up as well.
I have put a thread about this in the staff section, and you will hear from us soon... I think ;)
Thank you for your reply here.

Looking forward to the outcome. 🙂

I'm not going to even bother responding to your claims MarsMan other than to state they are once again inaccurate and misleading. I don't want to bring the thread down with that, nor do I want any communication with you further.

As for the idea, it is nice that it is being considered by the staff. I think this is a legitimately good idea. However, I think there needs to be a strong point that while it will fit well in other situations, I think there needs to be a strong understanding that each situation is different. Most of all there must be an understanding of the purpose of this forum as well, to promote and allow communication on the topics and for that communication to flow in a positive manner. Even if a few things are off-topic sometimes, that isn't a major issue. When things veer way off-topic, the thread is being flamed or trolled... then you have an issue. However, that issue (unless it has simply destroyed the integrity of the thread, which is QUITE rare, shouldn't get the thread lock. The posts themselves should be dealt with, but not prematurely. Restraint and a sense of humble fellowship. Not strict heavy-handed blind dictation with locks being thrown around and a rule system worthy of a legal system in a small country!

I really like this idea as a tool for consideration depending on the circumstances, but not as a solution to a problem though.

Supernanny

Um no, trust me, JREF wouldn't be a good place if it lost the moderators it has here (which btw, i think do a fine job); i was once a member of a forum where the moderation there completely broke down, the moderators all just left and refused to do their job- when that happened, the forum turned into a real bear pit of abusive language and behavior and nobody gave a damn about anyone etc. People started to leave the forum in droves (including me), and despite a few attempts to fix the problem since then, the forum has never really recovered.

If a forum doesn't have rules which are properly enforced, then people cannot feel that there is any presence of justice there- you might be complaining about the mods ways now, but who do you turn to when you have a problem on the forum? IHMO i think you take for granted the moderation of this forum and i think you shouldn't complain so much about it- this forum would not function at all without the moderators that it has. If you don't like the way things are run here, just go join another Japan forum.

Back
Top Bottom