What's new

Would anyone be so kind to translante this letter for me into English?

Daiten

先輩
6 Nov 2005
Hi. I recently got this letter from my penpal and wondered if anyone would be so kind to translate it for me into English, I realize that its a long letter (it was one card) so if you cannot translate the whole thing, at least please translate some of it. Thank you. Your help will be appreciated 😅
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
親愛なるゲーリー君へ
明けましておめでとう!今年の日本は異常気象が続き雪 ばかり降っています。お正月は千津ちゃん夫婦も一緒だ ったので。にぎやきにとても楽しく過ごせました。同封 のお守りは神社で「ゲーリー君が一年間健康でいられますように」と幸せを祈って買 ってきました。身につけてくれれば嬉しいです。
お礼が遅くなりましたが素敵なプレセント、写真、お手 紙本当にありがとうございました。グァテマラのこと。 ゲーリー君のお陰で初めて知りました!マヤ文明くらいは教科書 で勉強したことあったけどこんあ美しい国があったんて 感動かしました。ピラニッドにも小さい頃からとてもあ こがれていたので登ったゲーリー君が本当に羨ましいです。普通の日本では一生経験でき ないことです。良かったですね!織り物のかばんもとて も気に入りました(いりました)大事に大事に使わせて 頂きます。
話は変わりますが、吉田兄弟のこと、よく知ってますね !!実は私の夫も大好きで、生演奏を聞きに行ったこと もあるんですよ。CDなどで欲しいものがあったら遠慮な く言って下さい。また送ります。
1月28日、2人目の子供を出産することになりました 。名前は、瑛仁に決まりました。ゲーリー君みたいに素直で賢く優しい男の子が生まれてきてくれ ると嬉しいです!!落ちついたら写真送ります。
古風なカレンダーを見つけたので、日本が好きと言ってくれるゲーリー君に使ってほしいと思って買いました。今年もゲーリー君や家族の皆様にとって良い年でありますことを遠い日 本で祈っています。

If you have a go at it first, I'm sure people here will be gald to help you correct it and hlep you where you are stuck.

There seem to be some typos and punctuation errors in there. And isn't it funny that she put the reading for 入ります but not for her son's name? Anyway, I'll get it started:

"Dear Gary,
Happy New Year! This year we're having some unusually snowy days in Japan. I was with Chizu (that's a guess) on New Year's Day. (Don't know what nigiyaki is, but she had fun with it). I got the enclosed charm at a Shinto shrine. I was thinking "this is so Gary can have a healthy year," and I'm praying for your happiness. I'd be happy if you wear it."

So that's about the gist of the first paragraph. If anybody has any better suggestions feel free to jump right in.

Dear Gary,
Happy New Year! This year Japan's abnormal weather has continued, and the snow just keeps on falling. I spent this new year with chizu-chan and her husband, and we had a great time together. Enclosed is a charm I bought at the shrine, praying for your good health this coming year. I'd be happy if you would wear it.

Sorry for not writing sooner, but your gift, picture(s) and letter are wonderful, thank you very much. Thanks to you, I learned about Guatemala for the first time. I had learned about Mayan culture from textbooks, but I am moved by such a beautiful country. Since I was little I admired the pyramids, and I'm very envious that you have climbed them! Normally, in Japan, it's not something we can do even once in our lifetime. Isn't that nice! The weaved bag has become a favorite, and I use it preciously.

Sorry for changing the subject, but you really know about the Yoshida Brothers, don't you! The truth is my husband really loves thems and has been to a live performance before. If you want a CD or anything, please don't hesitate to ask and I'll send it to you.

the 28th of January is the due date for our second child. We're going to name him Eiji. If he were as pure, wise, and kind as you, I'd be very happy! Once things settle down I'll send you a photo.

I found an old-style calender, and since you said you liked Japan, I bought it for you to use. All the way from Japan, I pray that this year will be good for you and your family.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At least that's what I got out of it... I think "nigiyaka" was the intention with "nigiyaki." If anyone knows of another plausible pronunciation for the kid...

I read nigiyaki as nigiyaka ni meaning busy/bustling.
I was confused here though:
同封 のお守りは神社で「ゲーリー君が一年間健康でいられますように」と幸せを祈って買 ってきました。
I'm getting lost with the と after the brackets. Is it a quotative to or is it making a list there with happiness? If a list why put shiawase outside the brackets and not include it in the phrase? Or is that the phrase that the charm represents?

Last edited by a moderator:
Correction: Where I put: nigiyaki ni...Yes I did mean to put nigiyaKA ni..I was typing too fast. I just realized the mistake. So if possible what did that sentence mean where it said nigiyaki ni (which is supposed to be nigiyaka ni

Oh and THANK YOU ALL VERY VERY VERY MUCH for translating and thank you for taking the time to help translate it too...I do not know how to express my thanks but thanks you all thousands of times!! ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU!!! :)

KrazyKat said:
I read nigiyaki as nigiyaka ni meaning busy/bustling.
I was confused here though:
同封 のお守りは神社で「ゲーリー君が一年間健康でいられますように」と幸せを祈って買 ってきました。
I'm getting lost with the と after the brackets. Is it a quotative to or is it making a list there with happiness? If a list why put shiawase outside the brackets and not include it in the phrase? Or is that the phrase that the charm represents?

I believe it's the quotative と without a verb attributed to it. It's supposed to be assumed that she's thinking that or feeling that.

Glenn said:
I believe it's the quotative と without a verb attributed to it. It's supposed to be assumed that she's thinking that or feeling that.

It goes with 祈る

*ahem* Yes, well... There you have it. So it is quotative.

Man, I tell you, you start thinking, "hey, my Japanese is coming along quite nicely," and then you pull something like this. :sick:

The only questionable part is whether the quote is spoken or silent. My guess is that it was silent.

Glenn said:
Man, I tell you, you start thinking, "hey, my Japanese is coming along quite nicely," and then you pull something like this. :sick:

I am reminded daily that my Japanese sucks.

mikecash said:
It goes with 祈る

This is where I'm getting confused, I think.
shiawase is the direct object of inoru, right? So why is 'to' used for the quotation where they are talking about health? What exactly is the differnece between to inoru and wo inoru? That they aren't actually praying for health directly?

Daiten- nice gaijin's translation there is fine.

KrazyKat said:
What exactly is the differnece between to inoru and wo inoru?

The difference between what you pray....and what you pray for. Think about it and all will become clear.

mikecash said:
Grandchildren, Glenn. Grandchildren.

Well, that's assuming that I have grandchildren. Anyway, I was talking in terms of my mastery of the language.

omg!! Everynoe thank you very much for your help! I really do appreaciate. Domo Arigato gozaimasu!!

hi guys could you translate this sentence?

あなたの前に....私は本当に残念なこと不正うそ...私あ ヲっ!.. and this one あなたの前に....私は本当に残念なこと不正うそ...私あ ヲっ! are they the same?
tnx:)

Back
Top Bottom