What's new

Who's taking the JLPT this year?

Which level are you taking?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm taking level 2 in Sendai. 頑張るぞ。

And I think Mike is getting a bit carried away. Perhaps because the JLPT gets talked about far too much among people in Japan relative to its value as a test and value as a qualification, he feels the need to offer the other side? Anyway, 2kyuu has a number of uses:

-a qualification for jobs in Japan where one will mostly be using English (i.e. what Mike alluded to during one rather self-absorbed rant)
-a qualification for a number of study programs (a lot of the ones I'm looking at now want 2kyuu certification. Its especially important for those of us who have not formally studied japanese and therefore have no official documents that attest to our skills/lack thereof.
-a pay raise at work. I've talked to a few people who will get a pay raise or a bonus if they pass the test (even counts for 3kyuu at a few companies).

I'm taking level 2 in Sendai. 頑張るぞ。
Glad to hear you're doing the JLPT test too!! Good luck on your studies!! :emoji_thumbsup:

But to reply on the content your post: apart from the uses that affects study/job qualifications and salaries, I have to say that the JLPT is a poor measurer of proficiency in Japanese.

The thing is it's good that it tests your reading, listening and "vocabulary" skills, but it's all in a passive multiple choice form. It's understandable because someone has to check all the answers and a MC-test is much easier to cope than zillions of hand-written exams and oral examinations, but I personally noticed that some of the hardest and most important aspect of a language remains untested: the forming of sentences and making your thoughts clear to others through written and spoken words.

I mean, reading and choosing the correct Kanji's is one thing, but choosing your words and corresponding Kanji's with the Okurigana in the right form is something different.. I would have a much harder time passing these kinds of test, but it would measure my ability to communicate in Japanese better, don't you think?

I'm taking level two as well. I'm pretty sure I can pass it cause I passed one of the old papers last week (except I didn't do listening ... don't have the cd).

Is the listening really hard? Can I just study hard, practise hard, go in and do ok in it?

@leonmarino : I in no way meant to defend the test as a test in my post. It has its fair share of weaknesses to be sure. However, regardless of whether its a good test or not, it is The standardized test as far as qualifications go (although many places, perhaps wisely, will give you their own test instead of it).

The test does test your ability to correctly place okurigana, albeit that isn't worth all that many points. IMO it really shouldn't be, since computers do it for you, and that's the medium most of us will be using to express ourselves using written Japanese.

If you live in Japan and spend a fair amount of time talking to people/watching the news you should be ok. If your listening skills are very weak, you could do quite poorly. Go to jlpt.info and do the listening bit on a practice test.

Also, be careful of doing tests that are more than a few years old--the tests back in the 90s were much easier than the current ones. This might even be true for the first few of this millenium as well.

I'm taking level 2, but I don't think I'll pass, I spent all my time going to カラオケ and プリクラ instead of studying :emoji_blush:

I can't believe there's only 2 weeks left, I'm sooooooo not ready :emoji_frowning2: :emoji_frowning2:

I'll be doing level 2 in London, but I don't think I'll pass. I've been getting between 45% and 65% on the pre-tests so I'll be very lucky if I do pass. Reading comprehension will be the killer I'm sure, as it has been in the pre-tests, along with listening, grammar and vocab! The only thing I'm confident with is kanji.

The only thing I'm confident with is kanji.
I've read similar posts in the past that people try and do their best on the kanji and compensate for the rest of the test that way.. I hope your studies will pay off!! Good luck!!

So..

How did it go guys?

I'm happy to say that I most probably made it. I think I'm in the 75% ~ 80% region. The first part (moji/goi) was even more difficult than last year it seemed. I also had to guess a few on the listening part (tyoukai).. However, I think I did pretty good on the reading and grammar (dokkai/bunpou), so I probably made it. :)

Thanks to all who offered me tips and advice!! 🙂

So how did the rest of you guys do it?

I'm pretty confident with Vocab/ kanji.

Reading wasn't hard, but I ran out of time towards the end.

I totally screwed listening though. Probably like 50% at best. I had no clue at all. It was bs anyway ...

I hope everyone who took it passed! I took the 2kyu in Kobe 4 years ago and barely squeaked by with a pass. I actually had a lot of fun taking the test (yes, I'm a geek), someday I might have a go at the 1kyu!

正直に言うと、合格するに違いないと思います。聞き取りの部分は思ったより難しかったけど、読書も文法も割と簡単だと思いました。しかし、合格する自信があっても2ヶ月半も待つのは辛くて仕方がありませんね。

Well as expected, the level 2 test was out of my league. The real struggle was listening (surprisingly, as I was doing quite well in the past tests) and the reading section. I'll be lucky to get above 50% overall.

I've never been as confused in any other test before... I'm soo confused whether I'll pass with flying colours or fail horribly, weirdly enough I don't think I'll just pass or just fail... strange. It was only 3 kyuu though and the kanji was very very easy(I'm chinese, though I only know basics; it was kanji you would learn in a month of serious study(by this I mean from scratch), nothing special). The listening part was horrible, I can't believe it was only said once, since I'm a person who doesn't get it the first time and say things like "ah hah!" after the second time... I hate how they confuse you too with "trick questions", just get to the point !!! lol. The grammar I didn't study much at all. I just did enough to cover half and the other half I was half guessing.... Well looks like I going to have to take it again next year(2kyuu but with studying this time; if I feel diligent enough, 1kyuu).

Don't want to wait 2 months for your score? Remember what answers you wrote on the test? If so, then use this Chinese site with a copy of the actual test PLUS answers:
2007JLPT二级真题及答案-新世界版(全)_第7页_新沪江日语网_日语学习门户
(2級+1級)
Ow wow. :emoji_nerd:

By the way.. The JLPT-tests are not conducted all over the world at the same time right? But the tests are the same.. So does that mean if someone takes a test in Japan and manages to get the exam papers out of the examination hall he can send it to the rest of the world!? That would be weird.. :emoji_blush:

二級合格!

79%.

Thank you everyone for your help on this forum. My score definitely would have been lower had it not been for you.

Congrats Charles and Quato, nicely done! You both beat my score on the 2kyuu!

Good luck on the 1kyuu!

Wow, you guys got your results so fast!! Congratulations!!

I got mine today: 363/400 for 1kyuu.. Way better than I thought!! I should go to Las Vegas one day to try my luck.. 😊

Thanks everyone here for helping me achieve this. :)

Wow, you guys got your results so fast!! Congratulations!!
I got mine today: 363/400 for 1kyuu.. Way better than I thought!! I should go to Las Vegas one day to try my luck.. :emoji_flushed:
Thanks everyone here for helping me achieve this. 🙂:

Wow! Good job! Did you try any of the 1991-2006 past exams? I`m wondering how they compare in difficulty to the 2007一級

Back
Top Bottom