What's new

Who likes hijiki salad?

Uchite

後輩
16 Jan 2006
A local Japanese restaurant I eat at quite frequently offers hijiki salad. Personally, I love it! I remember another place that used to serve it as an appetizer at the sushi bar, but stopped. Maybe some customers did not like it.

Anyway, I think it is quite delicious and should be tried by all! Goes good with beer too!

A few countries have advised against the consumption of hijiki due to the arsenic, although there have been no negative effects noted, it might be better to get one's iron and calcium from other sources. Dried shrimp shells are an excellent source of calcium, as are ground sesame seeds. In a balanced diet, iron simply should not be a problem, but if one wants to increase their iron intake, then one can get a good list from nutritiondata.com.

Last edited:
I like a sauteed hijiki and carrot combo, served at room temp. It's a macrobiotic recipe I learned long ago. I'm not sure if I'd call it a salad though. Could you describe the salad you like? I'd like to hear about it and maybe try something like it. I am always looking for good things to do with seaweeds as I try to eat them for the iodine content. Have you tried reproducing it yourself?

BTW - This is the first I heard about the arsenic warning, so thanks for posting that.

Could you describe the salad you like? I'd like to hear about it and maybe try something like it.

It is black, shredded and basically like seaweed, but not exactly. It does have a few carrot shreddings in it.

Have you tried reproducing it yourself?

Not yet. I would like to however if I knew the recipe and had the ingredients. I am not that great of a cook! But I am getting there! 😄

Mmmmm...hijiki. My mom used to make hijiki for me with some meat and carrots...served warm with white rice. Love that stuff. Never had it like a salad though.

Simmered Hijiki recipe

About: Japanese Cuisine had a recipe for Simmered Hijiki today. They don't say so but I usually got hijiki served at room temperature when I was in Japan. You could call it a salad or a condiment, it is usually a small serving. Aburaage is deep fried tofu, cut into thin slices.

Simmered Hijiki

1 oz dried hijiki seaweed
1 aburaage
1/4 carrot
3 TB soy sauce
2 TB sugar
2 TB mirin
3/4 cup water

Put dried hijiki in a bowl. Wash them and soak in water for 10-15 minutes. Drain hijiki over a colander. Cut carrot into thin strips. Also, cut aburaage into thin strips.
Heat vegetable oin in a frying pan and saute carrot and hijiki. Add aburaage in the pan and saute lightly. Season the ingredient with sugar and mirin and stir well. Further, add soy sauce and water in the pan. Simmer the ingredients until the liquid is almost gone.

I tried to post the URL to link to this recipe but I am not allowed yet. Hope it is ok to post this recipe.

I like hijiki, but it wasn't something I ever had a craving for. It was just one of those tasty little things I got sometimes with meals.

Back
Top Bottom