What's new

Which city should i go study in japan below ?

Tokyo, GIFU, Kobe or Ueda
?
with isi language school..
thank you
Gifu. You will be immersed in the language and will have many opportunities to speak Japanese. In Tokyo or Kobe, there are many foreign residents and foreign tourists, so the necessity of speaking Japanese is somewhat diminished. Gifu will cause you to focus on language, and you will not be too distracted like you would be in Tokyo or Kobe. I don't know about Ueda, are you talking about the Ueda in Nagano?

In Tokyo or Kobe, there are many foreign residents and foreign tourists, so the necessity of speaking Japanese is somewhat diminished.
In my case, I don't know many foreigners in Tokyo (I can count on one hand) but I've met quite a few Japanese friends who speak enough English that I can switch back and forth without being forced to power through the difficult Japanese conversations. So yeah, further out with only native speakers is better for learning!
Although lately, said friends have been threatening to charge me 100 yen for every time I use English...

One town's very like another when your head's down over your pieces, brother

-- Murray Head --

The most important thing is your determination to push yourself and to make the most of your opportunity to learn and use Japanese while you are here.

If you have the determination, then even in big cities you can avoid other foreigners and can easily place yourself in situations where you have to use Japanese.

If you don't have the determination and place yourself in a more rural area to counteract that, then you'll just spend your time sitting alone in your room and being miserable.

If you have the determination, then even in big cities you can avoid other foreigners and can easily place yourself in situations where you have to use Japanese.
That's true. I lived in Tokyo but I deliberately avoided dating girls who could speak English. And now I'm still forced to speak Japanese daily. I guess I didn't think my strategy through to its logical conclusion. o_O

One town's very like another when your head's down over your pieces, brother

-- Murray Head --

The most important thing is your determination to push yourself and to make the most of your opportunity to learn and use Japanese while you are here.

If you don't have the determination and place yourself in a more rural area to counteract that, then you'll just spend your time sitting alone in your room and being miserable.

Great song quote! I had not even remembered the line was in there.

It doesn't matter which city you should go. I've been a research student in University of Tokyo for almost two months, and I'm the only foreigner in my lab. My sensei asked everybody around me for speaking only in Japanese to me. She even asked me to join seminars, workshops and classes in full Japanese. It was really stressful in the beginning, but now, I'm starting to enjoy it.

At this point, I think we're talking to ourselves.... Looks like tbe OP did a drive-by.

I think you should go somewhere in Hyogo ken. The cities are not too large so you get to experience some of the real Japanese culture, and it's not too expensive, and the people are amazing!

Back
Top Bottom