What's new

Which city do you recommend me most??

maushan3

Back home
1 Feb 2007
I am gonna do a 1-year high school exchange next year with AFS. It is 99% sure I'll be going to Japan. I would like to travel all over the region while on my stay. They ask me what cities I would most like to be located in. The problem is, I cannot travel to other cities for the first 5-6 months by myself. I would like big cities (Tokyo, Osaka or Nagoya). I know Osaka is really close to Kobe and Kyoto . So I was wondering, are there more things to do in Tokyo than in the Oskaka-Kobe-Kyoto area? I'm into big cities and all that modern stuff but also like the shrines and stuff.

Appreciate y'all's opinions

Mauricio

I would Say Fukuoka :)
Yes I know many people here who know me, know I love Fukuoka and a partcular woman who lives there. BUt It's a bit different than Tokyo still a big city with many cultural aspects. But nothing like A electric town Akibahara. If you wanted to stray away from typical everyday TV Japan, (Only b/c anytime you here or see anything about Japan it is 75% of the time related to Tokyo.) Fukuoka is a nice change. Other wise Just go to Tokyo.

I don't know how you plan to travel at all like you described. You're going on a high school exchange. Doesn't that mean you will be based at one school the whole year?

:homer: Appreciate the suggestion.

I don't know how you plan to travel at all like you described. You're going on a high school exchange. Doesn't that mean you will be based at one school the whole year?

Yeah, they mean like on weekends and/or breaks.

Yes I know many people here who know me, know I love Fukuoka and a partcular woman who lives there. BUt It's a bit different than Tokyo still a big city with many cultural aspects. But nothing like A electric town Akibahara. If you wanted to stray away from typical everyday TV Japan, (Only b/c anytime you here or see anything about Japan it is 75% of the time related to Tokyo.) Fukuoka is a nice change. Other wise Just go to Tokyo.

As soon as I get enough moolah together, I am planning on hitting Fukuoka amongst other places in Kyushu. I plan to go to see Mt. Aso first, then go over to Nagasaki and from there to Sasebo (to see the bridge featured in "Rodan") and then up to Fukuoka. It'll probably be in April or May. Any recommendations?

Dazaifu Temple is A very nice tourist spot to see. The road up to the temple has like 20 shops with foods, accessories, clothing and decorative items.
Also, Fukuoka Tower is a must see. Also check out the beach around the tower has awesome luxurious hotel out on the water. they also offer a ferry boat to a small remote island of the coast.
Lastly Yahoo Dome is about a 15 minute walk from Fukuoka Tower. And has a Hard Rock Cafe and shopping center next to it.

Tokyo has its share of shrines and historic sites, and many others are within day-trip distance (Kamakura, Nikko, Hakone, Kawagoe and Yokohama to name a few). The cities in the Kansai area are large, but tend to have a slower pace than Tokyo...actually any other city will have a slower pace than Tokyo.

I wouldn't hesitate to call Tokyo a concrete jungle, but there are spots of natural beauty that can be seen even within its borders. Travel a few hours to the southwest and you can reach the Izu peninsula and visit areas like Atami that have some pretty nice onsen.

I'm partial to Tokyo because that's where I spent the majority of my time, but clearly biases are common here, for various reasons :)

Tokyo has its share of shrines and historic sites, and many others are within day-trip distance (Kamakura, Nikko, Hakone, Kawagoe and Yokohama to name a few). The cities in the Kansai area are large, but tend to have a slower pace than Tokyo...actually any other city will have a slower pace than Tokyo.

I wouldn't hesitate to call Tokyo a concrete jungle, but there are spots of natural beauty that can be seen even within its borders. Travel a few hours to the southwest and you can reach the Izu peninsula and visit areas like Atami that have some pretty nice onsen.

I'm partial to Tokyo because that's where I spent the majority of my time, but clearly biases are common here, for various reasons :)

Good, I'll keep that in mind. As I said, I like big cities where there will be countless of things to do. I also considered Fukuoka, but still, I like Tokyo or Osaka better, and, well, Tokyo will remain my first choice. A friend of mine living in Monterrey lives in Ashikaga, Tochigi-Ken and would like to visit him, and for him to present me to his friends and some girls haha.

Mauricio

So far, I have only been to the Kyoto/Osaka/Hakone and Tokyo area's but by far I fell in love with the Kansai region.
By all means I enjoy the fun of the city as well, but my heart is left in Kyo.

But, there is not a place I where I could say "Do not go there."

What are your interests? Mine are Sake and Gardens for the most part and typical every day Japanese life. So that is what my trips have largely consisted of.

I hope to return again this year, and plan either for Hokkaido or Okinawa.

I must say I loved Fukuoka. It's a Japanese city without the massive bustle and imposing architecture of Osaka, Tokyo and the like. Big enough to have everything, small enough to be lovely. I didn't like Osaka much, felt it lacked soul, but I fell in love with Fukuoka.

I second that!! Fukuoka IS the best city in Japan no doubt about it!! Big enough to have lots of things to do but small enough that you can ride a bicycle to most locations, and not get too lost. Lots of great food, baseball, ramen, historical sites, women, excellent public transportation, nice beaches, HardRock Cafe, Cosco, Apple Store, etc.

👍

Dazaifu Temple is A very nice tourist spot to see. The road up to the temple has like 20 shops with foods, accessories, clothing and decorative items.
Also, Fukuoka Tower is a must see. Also check out the beach around the tower has awesome luxurious hotel out on the water. they also offer a ferry boat to a small remote island of the coast.
Lastly Yahoo Dome is about a 15 minute walk from Fukuoka Tower. And has a Hard Rock Cafe and shopping center next to it.

Actually, skip Fukuoka Tower since it's not free! There is a better view at the top of the Sea Hawk Hotel (The Big Hotel that connects to Yahoo Dome) and it's free. I lived in Fukuoka for 5 years, so if you have any questions I can probably answer them.

Thanks, I appreciate all of your responses. My region's AFS committee completely forgot to send my confirmation packet to the main office. He missed the deadline. So, when I asked him whether I could get financial aid, he said I didn't even get in Japan. But now I complained to the main office and they said that it was not a problem, since it was not my fault. They said that they are looking now for a host family for me, so I would be happy if i would get anywhere in Japan.

Regarding Fukuoka: I've also heard wonderful things. I read an article in Time or Newsweek magazine and it was about the most practical places to live in the world. It is a very dynamic city, I hear. So, it would be nice if I get a family in there.

Mauricio

Sendai - I stayed there for a little while, and I think I got the best of both worlds in Japan because it's a pretty big city surrounded by a beautiful rural area.

I second that!! Fukuoka IS the best city in Japan no doubt about it!!

Ha ka ta, Ha ka ta...
Plus you can blend in with the bums and drunken businessmen who missed the last train and sleep outside the station for an experience you probably don't want to do in the US. The place (shopping areas) is a maze though!

Hyper Hotel is a decent cheap place if you plan an advance visit.

I have some fond memories of that city,
but I don't want to stay over night at the station any more.

It seems there are no benches any where in that city, especially around Hakata. I was foolish to have a heavy backpack and walking with it...
If I ever move to Japan, I am bringing my jisho and kyokasho only (besides my clothes of course.

Back
Top Bottom