What's new

Where to get the BEST exchange rate from USD to JPY?

vu7

後輩
18 Sep 2018
Hi there!!! I know that the exchange rate at this moment is 113.6945 jpy for 1 usd. I know that this is the inter banking rate which means there's no way in hell you can get this good of a rate. How can a traveller/student/resident of Japan to convert their hard earned USD to as much JPY as possible???

Most people use an ATM. Of course you should pick banks on both sides that have the lowest fees but I really don't know if the spread is that large or if it really makes that much of a difference.

Yes, you're right. Last time I compared, the moneychanger was offering 10% more yen for my AUD than the bank. One of the many reasons banks are so rich.

This reminded me of something. There was this TV program in Japan that interviewed the people coming to Daikokuya (one of the money changer). Besides money changing, they also buy tickets and various coupons, so the question was what kind of people comes and for what reasons.
The shocking part for me was that many people go there not only for changing money and selling tickets but overseas remittances since their service charge was way lower than banks... I've been doing it wrong for God knows how long...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom