What's new

Where the @#$% are the free weight gyms?

Emoni

先輩
20 Sep 2003
I regularly do some minor exercises, but use free weights. Squats, deadlifts, bench press and the like. I don't use machines (usually) nor do I use little prancy dance rooms. Just free weights. Apparently it is extremely hard to find these sorts of gyms. I know that free weights are ニ稚ニ椎?ツーニ脱ニ竪ニ鍛ニ暖but I'm trying to find a gym round Shinkoiwa or Kinshichou with no luck. All of them are overpriced dance dance yoga, pool, group crap centers that "might" have a limited free weight area. I'm not looking to pay12,000 yen a month for tons of things I don't even use.

Does anyone have any ideas? Am I not searching for the right type of place? Are there other types of gyms that have free weights under a different name? It can't be THIS hard right?!

Free Weight is フリーウェイト (not ウエット)

Where are you residing?
Most ward (区 ku) has facilities for indoor sports and generally they are either free or cost very little.
To use them, you need to be either residing or working in that particular ward.

葛飾区総合スポーツセンター (Katsushika-ku)
ナ?窶ケツ湘シ窶ケテヲ窶伉債坂?。ニ湛ニ竹ツーニ団ニ短ニ停?愴耽ツー || ナス{ツ静昶?堙娯?堋イヒ???愿? ||

江戸川区スポーツランド (Edogawa-ku)
ニ湛ニ単ツーニ暖ニ椎?ニ停?愴誰 - ニ稚ニ鍛ニ暖ニ探ニ停?ケ - ニ弾ニ男ニ湛 - ニ暖ニ椎陳ーニ男ニ停?愴丹ニ淡ニ停ぎ - ニ致ツーニ停?ケ - ツ江ナ津仰静ャ窶ケテヲニ湛ニ竹ツーニ団ニ停?ーニ停?愴檀

墨田区 (Sumida-ku)
ナス{ツ静敘?T窶牌ツ 窶渡窶彡窶ケテヲナ津カナスツョニ脱ニ巽ニ置ニ探ニ辰ニ暖
*Sumida-ku's centre does have a weight-training room. You can use it for only JPY140 (max. 1 hour).
They are open 18:00-21:00 (Tue, Wed, Fri) 10:00-11:45 (Thu) 15:00-17:00 and 18:00-21:00 (Sat)

Thanks so much for your help. The first two are pretty darn far from me, as I'm right near Shinkoiwa station. However, the third option might be doable... I'll have to check into that one. My work outs are usually about an hour and 20 minutes but I could do an hour. I'll check. (Whoops... that is Shinmurai! Thought it was closer)

Thanks for the correction on フリーウェイト by the way!

Darn... guess no other choice than my university 45 minutes away then :( Thanks for the help. Wish there was just some sort of basic free weight gym, but I guess not.

1. google "300 workout"
  2. find tractor tires to flip over
  3. flip over tires
  4. repeat
  5. enjoy being a sex god

Darn... guess no other choice than my university 45 minutes away then :( Thanks for the help. Wish there was just some sort of basic free weight gym, but I guess not.

You could just buy your own free weights. Or do what nice gaijin said and flip some tractor tires on your way to godliness. People might wonder why you're flipping tires but they'll stop wondering when you shoot laser beams out of your eyes.

Sadly, Japan seriously limits my space (along with everyone else's) so buying a cage and 200 kilos of plates along with a bench just isn't going to work on the third floor of an apartment in Japan. The tire idea isn't bad... even though it sounds silly, but no place to put even that...

Back
Top Bottom