What's new

Gyms that allow tattoos in Tokyo?

Shed

後輩
2 Mar 2010
This is my first post here, I hope I am not making a total mess out of it and posting in the wrong place etc! I tried searching but I didn't find a similar topic so I guess it should be fine! :?

The thing is, I've scoured the web for some info on this but it's really hard to find any hard info on it (Or I'm horrible at googling, wichever applies...) Anyway... Is there any Gym in Tokyo where you can sport tattoos and not worry without being chucked out the door head over heels by a grumpy cashier? I've got a dragon inked over my left calf, that's all. Some earrings and stuff like that too.

I keep reading these horror stories of Gaijin being thrown out of Golds gym even! (That's odd... How come the Golds branch allows that?)

So what do I need out of a gym? Not much... decent sized free weights. (up to 40-60 kg-ish dumbells should suffice for vacation workouts but I can make do with less if I have to)I don't care if it's scruffy or has no cardio equipment, lies under a nuclear plant and has no AC. As long as I can work out and lift some weights on my vacation without having to worry too much. I'll be staying in the Akasaka area but I'm none too bothered if it takes a while to get to the gym.

The only thing I've gathered from online reading so far is that Golds seem to be hit and miss and Tipness seem to be rabid in their hunt for tattoos. Not off to such a good start... heh.

Additionally! If you know anything about good gyms in Osaka(Mr.U Gym anyone?) or Sendai please do tell! I've been wanting to study abroad in Japan but If I can't work out it's a definite no go... might just as well go to California and hit the monkey cage instead. :)

Hope someone can enlighten me a bit. ^^ Thanks in advance.

I don't like Tattoos, I think they are often ugly and immature. I would never get one.

BUT!!! Getting kicked out of a gym for them? That is absolutely absurd, especially when foreigners aren't going to have the connection to yakuza or anything, and the tattoos are often totally different. I honestly didn't know this problem even existed in gyms! I'd talk to the manager if you run into that problem at Gold's Gym.

Wish I knew of something to do... wear long socks??

Many gyms do not accept people with tattoo, it doesn't matter whether the person is Japanese or non-Japanese.
I've checked on the net and found many similar questions - "is there any gym who allows people with tats?" - posted by Japanese who have tattoo.

I also found that some people say Central and KONAMI are OK, though I'm not 100% sure and it might depend on each branch.

Central Sports (they have 35 clubs in Tokyo and 19 in Kanagawa.)
セントラルスポーツ

KONAMI Sports Club (42 in Tokyo, 22 in Kanagawa)
コナミスポーツクラブ

Both of the above are mentioned by two different persons saying "I've got tats and am member at this club, so far I have no problem, was never pointed out by the staff." etc.

I can't tell you first hand, but maybe this will help. Welcome to jref! ( URL )
👍

I Did find that page when googling around actually. Seems the links ended in a dead end for me, but i'll check around a bit more there, maybe I missed something. :)
Thanks. ^^

I don't like Tattoos, I think they are often ugly and immature. I would never get one.

BUT!!! Getting kicked out of a gym for them? That is absolutely absurd, especially when foreigners aren't going to have the connection to yakuza or anything, and the tattoos are often totally different. I honestly didn't know this problem even existed in gyms! I'd talk to the manager if you run into that problem at Gold's Gym.

Wish I knew of something to do... wear long socks??

Well, each to their own I guess. I only have one and I don't really want any more than that so... :)

Couldn't agree more about the getting kicked out of gyms part. Part of me also wonders... would they dare kick someone out if they actually were yakuza? I wouldn't.

I actually do wear long pants when working out so it's covered up. More worried about when I take a shower afterwards. Oo But I guess i'll just have to ask at the respective gyms.

Thanks for the answer. :)

Last edited:
Many gyms do not accept people with tattoo, it doesn't matter whether the person is Japanese or non-Japanese.
I've checked on the net and found many similar questions - "is there any gym who allows people with tats?" - posted by Japanese who have tattoo.

I also found that some people say Central and KONAMI are OK, though I'm not 100% sure and it might depend on each branch.

Central Sports (they have 35 clubs in Tokyo and 19 in Kanagawa.)

KONAMI Sports Club (42 in Tokyo, 22 in Kanagawa)

Both of the above are mentioned by two different persons saying "I've got tats and am member at this club, so far I have no problem, was never pointed out by the staff." etc.

Thanks, I'll make sure to check out their branches in Tokyo. Maybe I'll get lucky! :p

I wonder if this kind of thing is even worse outside of the big cities. If you get out into the more rural areas thing usually get more ehm... narrow minded(In my experience.)

This is a very similar problem to the one of going to onsen with a tattoo.

If it is possible at all, try to cover it up with tape of some kind. No one will check if there is a wound or a tattoo behind the tape and it's an easy way to keep both parties happy.

The problem that is usually made by the onsen owner or the gym owner, would be that if people from a rival yakuza gang can spot that you are a different gang, then there might be a fight. So as long as you don't display the tattoo, there shouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom