What's new

When someone wants to learn japanese, how helpful are you?

When someone wants to learn japanese, how helpful are you?

• I AM SUPER SENSEI! ASCII and ye shall RECEIVE!

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • If I'm familiar with the subject, I'll offer my 2 yen.

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • Depends what side of the bed I wake up on.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I remain silent always.

• I HATE IT! BURN IN HELL PEOPLE!

• Total voters

Erik

後輩
5 Feb 2003
Every now and again, someone will be requesting help learning japanese either from scratch or asking for help on something specific. How much help do you give out? Any?

...if i know ill reply but thats usually not the case since i dunno much. nangi is prolly the best person to ask, always very helpful and breaks things down into a simple form even i can understand.

I Leave It To The Experts!!!

We have several people on the Forum that are real pros, so I always wait & see what they say. It seems with Japanese language there are always several ways to say things. Also who's talking to who, male or female, and the context of the discussion determine things. It's all so amazingly complicated!!

Frank

Generally I answer if it is interesting and/or if it is relatively difficult*.

If it's another "What's the Japanese for hello?" type post then I usually won't answer - unless somebody elses reply is incorrect / incomplete / allows for an interesting post.

e.g.
Q. "What's the Japanese for hello?"
A. "Moshi moshi."
Me. "Well maybe if you're on the phone - moshi moshi is used to get someone's attention and check that they are there and listening."

I also rarely answer "Please translate this [long-text] for me." posts.

* Although in the latter case there's no guarrentee I'm right. Although I can pretty much guarrentee that I can't spell guarrentee.

Back
Top Bottom