What's new

What is this pickled food I bought ?

Virgule

Registered
7 Jul 2016
Hello,
I traveled to Japan for 2 weeks in 2010 and I loved it. Lately, I had a transfer in Narita airport coming back from Thailand. I had a nostalgic feeling seeing all the souvenirs and goods.

I stopped in a shop (I don't remember the name but it was pretty popular) that sells mostly gourmet foods. You can find anything like kit kats of plenty of flavors, matcha cakes, chocolate, Japanese scotch, sake, matcha and green tea, etc.

I bought a vacuum sealed plastic enveloppe containing a mixture of a pickled ingredient. It looked like seaweed however, it was not a traditional seaweed salad. It was definitely not Tsukemono (different bright colored pickled vegetables, sour and sweet). Searching "Japanese seaweed salad" on google returns something like this :
frozen_seaweed_salad.jpg

However, what I bought was much more darker, with lighter colored stems in the center of darker leaves. It was also not stringy like the image above but small rectangle pieces. There was small seeds in the mixture as well, my guess is sesame seeds. The salad tasted of vinegar, salt and smoke and had a nice chewy texture.

I'm really trying to find what this pickled good was to try and put my hands on more of these. Can anyone help ?

Thanks in advance.

can you share an image of the bag? It probably has the name written on it

Well that's the whole point. I ate it all, and threw away the bag and months later I have this crazy craving. If I had the bag I would have known what to search for...

And that photo isn't even the item he is asking about...
I think Lomaster just meant that as a joke. I'm still awaiting the experience of anyone who could, by a wonderful chance, have stumbled upon this delicious product.

Back
Top Bottom