What's new

Question What is this Japanese mask accessory called?

ariete

Registered
20 Apr 2021
maxresdefault.jpg

Here is an example of what I am talking about: the white paper/cloth rectangular mask tied around his head that is covering his face, with the kanji 炎. I have also seen other characters with similar masks with the kanji 天 and 神.

If anyone knows if there is a specific name for this accessory, any information is greatly appreciated! ありがとうございます! 😊

You are referring to ヒノカミ神楽 Hinokami-kagura performed in an anime/a manga 鬼滅の刃 Kimetsu no Yaiba Demon Slayer, right? The mask you mentioned is the writer's original creation, not traditional ones. Kagura, i.e., "sacred music and dancing" is performed either with or without a mask. The masks are called 神楽面 kagura-men, but they are not like the one in the anime/manga. I think it's not wrong to call it just 面 men, i.e., "mask".

Here's kagura-men.

I spent a half hour Googling all types of masks and none matched anything close to that single anime. My first thought when looking at that single anime was how the heck they can see with that type mask? It also seemed very rare to see anyone wearing that type of a mask. It is amazing how many different masks there have been through Japanese history though.

I spent a half hour Googling all types of masks and none matched anything close to that single anime. My first thought when looking at that single anime was how the heck they can see with that type mask? It also seemed very rare to see anyone wearing that type of a mask. It is amazing how many different masks there have been through Japanese history though.
I have a small collection of masks, and although it's too big for me to have one, I really like the tengai, or basket mask that the Komuso (Fuke Zen flute monks) wear to obscure their identities.

1200px-Daikokuji-Sasayama_Komus%C5%8D_Shakuhachi_%E5%A4%A7%E5%9B%BD%E5%AF%BA%EF%BC%88%E7%AF%A0...jpg

One night while working in the bar in Fukuoka , a man came in wearing a mask similar to this one. My Japanese friend said don't look at the mask and give him some money to go away. I had the feeling if you looked at the mask or if you did not give him money there was some type of curse involved?? Never did find out what the story behind it all was .

brn.jpg

One night while working in the bar in Fukuoka , a man came in wearing a mask similar to this one. My Japanese friend said don't look at the mask and give him some money to go away. I had the feeling if you looked at the mask or if you did not give him money there was some type of curse involved?? Never did find out what the story behind it all was .View attachment 41786
Well that's a Tengu. I'm not familiar with a begging culture associated with the mask, but they can be considered mischievous spirits... Since your friend seemed to know how to deal with the situation, this may just be something I'm unfamiliar with. I wonder if there's a possibility they were a Yamabushi or Shugendo practicioner... soliciting donations as a begging monk? Seems unusual for them to come into the city and go around bars for this purpose though...

There are a few different kinds of Tengu, I have a "hana-magari tengu" mask like this one where the nose bends upwards, and is a protective mountain spirit from the Tohoku region: お面が安い【鼻曲がり天狗】の能楽のお面を激安販売【祭の壱龍】
20180222_7be7a4.JPG

More on Tengu: Tengu - Japanese Buddhist and Shinto Slayer of Vanity (Yamabushi Tengu, Karasu Tengu)

Don't remember what his cloths were , maybe a monk. I was really interested in looking at him and the mask and what he was up to , and my friend acted like he was the grim reaper come to take us away. In my 2 years there , that was the only time I saw anything like it.

It's real similar to the Zoumen in Spirited away, i'm not an expert but the source on their wiki refers to the Ama ritual dance at Kasuga Shrine, so there may be some similarity there?

Yes, 雑面 zōmen used in 安摩 Ama or 蘇利古 Soriko are made by a thick paper, and the patterns drawn on the mask are totally different from a single kanji used in the anime/manga, but it's indeed similar in the sense that they are both made by a piece of paper, so the writer might be inspired by these masks.

Ama
ama.jpg

Soriko
soriko.jpg

These dances are performed not only at Kasuga Shrine, by the way.
Ama costume figure displayed at Kyoto Imperial Palace in 2013
Ama_figure.JPG

Back
Top Bottom