What's new

What is the meaning of という?

Wellington

Kouhai
15 Oct 2017
About this sentence.

素早さでかく乱させようというわけですか。

I didn't understand という.
I'm not sure, but 乱させよう is a verb? What conjugation is this?

Thank you.

I didn't understand という.
It's a quotative that in this case is also serves to connect what comes before it so that it modifies わけ. ("So you're saying that...", "So it's that...")

I'm not sure, but 乱させよう is a verb? What conjugation is this?
攪乱する is the base verb. (かく is written in hiragana here because it's not a 常用漢字)

かく乱させよう is the volitional form of the causative かく乱させる.
(かく乱する → かく乱させる → かく乱させよう)

Based on this, are you able to figure out the meaning?

It seems like you may be one of the many who are attempting to teach themselves Japanese by reading comic books without learning the basics through traditional textbooks.

If that is the case, I would like to suggest that you consider working your way through some beginner level textbooks first.

It seems like you may be one of the many who are attempting to teach themselves Japanese by reading comic books without learning the basics through traditional textbooks.
No, it's not my case, I've already studied textbooks, websites (guidetojapanese, punipuni, etc). However, in my case, textbooks didn't help me a lot, sometimes complicated me. Now I'm learning on my own, if I read a sentence in Japanese and I don't understand, I search on the internet, dictionaries, websites, I try to understand the sentence, most of the time I can figure out the meaning on my own because I have some knowledge in Japanese, I've already studied textbooks. If I read ten sentences the average is eight sentences I can figure it out the meaning on my own, and two I can't. When I can't figure out the meaning on my own. I ask help

It's a quotative that in this case is also serves to connect what comes before it so that it modifies わけ. ("So you're saying that...", "So it's that...")

攪乱する is the base verb. (かく is written in hiragana here because it's not a 常用漢字)

かく乱させよう is the volitional form of the causative かく乱させる.
(かく乱する → かく乱させる → かく乱させよう)

Based on this, are you able to figure out the meaning?
Yes.

I only brought it up because most of your questions are things which are covered in beginner's textbooks.

May I ask which textbooks you used?

I only brought it up because most of your questions are things which are covered in beginner's textbooks.

May I ask which textbooks you used?
Actually, I didn't use any textbooks, I mean real book, but textbooks teach grammar, and the websites that I accessed too. I've tried learned the language by textbooks, and it didn't work for me. Maybe somebody can learn the language by reading/studying textbooks. However, I've tried and it didn't work for me. That's why I'm learning this way.

It explains most things really well, if that's what you're asking. I'm still working through it, so if you're asking how much of Japanese grammar it covers, I don't know the answer.

If you mean if it's a complete guide to Japanese grammar I would probably say no. As far as I know Genki covers beginning Japanese grammar. If you're starting from nothing or near nothing though it will keep you busy for a while.

If you can't name the textbook you used, then you didn't use a textbook. Probably you have flipped through some grammar reference books and like many people assume those are "textbooks".

You will benefit from getting a proper beginner's textbook and carefully working your way through it.

We get people here all the time who tell us they're special and textbooks don't work for them....then ask us questions for which we essentially have to type up just for them the exact same information they would have found in a textbook if they weren't too special to use or too cheap to buy.

If that is the case, I would like to suggest that you consider working your way through some beginner level textbooks first.
I'll follow your advice, I'll use a textbook.

If you can't name the textbook you used, then you didn't use a textbook. Probably you have flipped through some grammar reference books and like many people assume those are "textbooks".

You will benefit from getting a proper beginner's textbook and carefully working your way through it.

We get people here all the time who tell us they're special and textbooks don't work for them....then ask us questions for which we essentially have to type up just for them the exact same information they would have found in a textbook if they weren't too special to use or too cheap to buy.
When I said, textbooks didn't work. Most people I know that spent years and years at school in my country reading, studying, doing exercise in a textbook in English, Spanish, Japanese, etc. They didn't succeed. If today I know English, read, understand in English, it's because I did lot more things than just study textbook and do exercise. Textbooks help? Yes, I learned English by textbooks in the beginning and I'll use now in Japanese. However, if you only study textbooks will not make you fluent, most people I know in my country didn't succeed just studying textbooks. English is not my mother language, my English is not perfect, I know, but my goal is not to be perfect.

What you say is entirely correct.

The only thing missing is that most people who study another language never really succeed at it. The problem isn't one of using or not using a textbook.

Related to grammar, GENKI is complete? Beginner to Advanced.
It's a beginner's textbook - once you complete it, you'll need to move on to other ones for intermediate and advanced material. And this is only logical. There's so much to learn when it comes to acquiring a new language that a single textbook could never explain it all.

Personally I picked up "An integrated approach to intermediate Japanese" after finishing Genki, and then (years later, in preparation for the JLPT) "Shin Kanzen Master N1."

Most people I know that spent years and years at school in my country reading, studying, doing exercise in a textbook in English, Spanish, Japanese, etc. They didn't succeed.
There's a difference between learning a language at school and by yourself, even if the study material is the same. In the former case, people tend to study in order to pass tests; in the latter, because the topic actually interests them. It also helps a lot that you can go at your own pace rather than being held back by (or not being able to keep up with) the class schedule.

However, if you only study textbooks will not make you fluent, most people I know in my country didn't succeed just studying textbooks.
That much is obvious. In fact, you'll notice no one told you to limit yourself to textbooks - just to start with them. Once you've created a solid foundation, you can (and should) start getting into the "real stuff" to further expand your knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom