What's new

What is the best miso soup (miso shiru)?

More Recap

Left: spikenard & tumip flower, Right: green aspalgus

Left: fried tofu & cabbage, Right: wakame stem & tofu

^^ seconded! And can you buy fried tofu? I've seen it in blocks and it doesnt look like it's normal colour and texture... I'm off to the local korean grocery store down the block and making some miso...

Ewok85 said:
Whats the best way to fry tofu? Just drop it in a pan with some butter... and fry it?

Not with butter with vegetable oil, and you need to add a bit of salt and soya sauce to it.

yukio_michael said:
^^ seconded! And can you buy fried tofu?.....

Yes ... at least I can in Vancouver ... not spectacular ... but pretty good. Most supermarkets [ We have "T &T" (out of Hong Kong) up here].

ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?

My wife makes miso by mixing the white paste with red and then putting in a ton of onions. It's like eating pasta and I gag on onions. Therefore I like the instant variety pack with the paste and dry packet *( http://www.jlifeinternational.com/Catalog/Food/freshmiso.html ).
My mother-in-law in Japan makes it with tiny clams (Shijimi) for the broth and adds miso and negi (green onion). Bonito on top and sometimes fu (sp?) on top...... not sure what to call them in English except maybe "soup nuts"... or crachers????

I have Japanese acquintances told me,Hodashi benito fish flavored soup is a popular subsitute for Miso nowadays.

This one sushi place I frequent has had the best miso soup I have ever tasted in my life! I want to one day ask them for the recipe since I know from my various experience in eating at Japanese restaurants that the miso soup is rarely ever the same x.x;

My favourite is
- onion (cut in the same direction when you make onion rings, though it first has to be halved)
- cabbage

My mother is from Sapporo, Hokkaido and she sometimes puts a little bit of butter after the soup is served in a bowl. It really is delicious!
:)

Soup base of dashi and mugi miso (barley miso)
ingredients: tofu cubed, wakame, green onions, enoki/shimeji, clams are great too, and rice. Yup, rice.

In Japan they refer to the mixing of rice in your miso soup as "nekomama". I've been told that this is because they feed the leftovers to their cats. As such, this is a rude way to eat your miso soup at some establishments that would be insulted by that. Try it though, nekomama is the best.

I'm kind of confused about the dashi soup stock... In Japan, we ate miso which was pretty cheap variety, it was the common type that you get as individual packets which was miso paste, that we added seaweed to...

I make miso using ingrediants similar to the following:

B00023RDPK01A1VOJU56ED7E91_AA280_SCLZZZZ-1.jpg

+ wakame, + tofu, sometimes + enoki mushroom added to hot water.

The miso base I have above has bonito in it as an ingrediant... I know it may not be exactly 'authentic' miso--- but is it okay to use hot-water instead of dashi stock for my ingrediants?

Confused!

My gosh I've been away for a long time. Bezz-sama where did you find all those deliscious pix? Yukio-Michael I don't think there is a "real" miso soup. I think it's whatever you like that counts. I must admit that I do like using hon dashi or fresh fish stock whenever I make miso but just look at all the varieties that Bezz has posted and they all look great. You might try using a recipe that calls for miso paste and stock so that you have more control over the flavor (and the salt). I'm going to try making a couple of the soups that Bezz has posted tomorrow (it's cold in Colorado, first snow).

I am told by the site which manufactures the stock that I use, (Marukome), that I am very lucky (I am not making this up), because my stock includes the taste that the dashi soup stock would.

Thank you, Murokome-sensei! ;)

...that said, I am a little disapointed that the English version of the original site sort of looks like it was designed in 1996. ☝

Back
Top Bottom