What's new

What do these japanese names mean?

leafy_angel

後輩
17 Apr 2004
can anybody tell me what the following names mean:
misato, mikoto (is this even a real name?), makoto (boy name, or girl, or both?), misora, misaki, motoko

ok thanks! 😄

Konnichiwa Leafy_angel-san!

Each Kanji has own original meaning and there are many combinations of Kanji. I can not tell all meaning(all combinations of Kanji) but I write some meaning of them.

misato = beautiful country
mikoto = life, noble
makoto = truth, honesty
misora = beautiful sky
misaki = cape
motoko = obedient child, kindly child

NANGI

Isn't Makoto (誠, sincerity)more widely used as a boy's name....outside of anime, of course ;)

Hmm, I wouldn't know, but I would say that it would be more of a female thing, but nothing exclusive.

But hey, Makoto is like calling your child Chris. (Christopher / Christine ). It is also ideal if you wish to give them an option of a sex change...

Question, do all Japanese names have another meaning rather then just a name? I mean like english names, don't have another meaning such as "Lindsey", or "Kayla", "Lisa". They are just names.

Lisa, Liza Consecrated to God Hebrew
Kayla crown of laurels Hebrew

Origin and Meaning of First Name Lindsey
What is the ethnic origin? --English
What does it mean? --Linden trees near the water.
What's the gender (commonly)? --Female

Most names in English and quite a few other languages are derived from Hebrew or other cultures venering the monotheistic deity some people call "God". It is false to say names don't mean anything because that is how names are thought up. They usually want to give a quality to their child (and sometimes wish it were magically there and not evben nurture them to have such qualities.) Back then, it was venerance to whatever they believed to be divine, but it could be named for natural or emotional characteristics, also venerable in some cases like animism.

So people shouldn't be allowed to criticize your choice of a name for either yourself or your offspring because every name has a meaning. While Kwigibo didn't have a meaning, once that got created on the Simpsons, it got a new meaning.

Lisa or Makoto are both equally good names even if you're whiter than 2% milk. However, to avoid confusion, I'd rather call my kid Seiko (誠子) or Seisuke (誠介) to avoid the confusion.

And even Tarou-Jirou-Saburou-like unoriginalities exist in other parts of the world. X Y Senior, X Y Junior, X Y the third, etc...

playaa said:
Question, do all Japanese names have another meaning rather then just a name?

Some Japanese names don't. My husbands name is 敦司 and it doesn't have a clear meaning.

nzueda said:
Some Japanese names don't. My husbands name is 敦司 and it doesn't have a clear meaning.
I think a lot of names are essentially meaningless or something trivial like the month and date or season a child was born. ☝ Showing the Japanese sense of humor like nothing else :D

Elizabeth said:
I think a lot of names are essentially meaningless or something trivial like the month and date or season a child was born. ☝ Showing the Japanese sense of humor like nothing else :D

sometimes it's a "feeling" too. For example my kanji doesn't make much sense 香里奈 but Japanese people always comment on how nice it is. not the sounds but the kanji. I guess it's something only native Japanese can really appreciate. (I only know about 200 kanji so I sure don't!)

I like Bruce Willis in pulp fiction
"what does your name mean?"
"my name is Bob.. it's an American name, it doesn't mean anything"

My sons' names all mean something. I think I've posted it several times before.

For those of you who know Kanji:

星夜

瀬奈

龍魁

nzueda said:
sometimes it's a "feeling" too. For example my kanji doesn't make much sense 香里奈 but Japanese people always comment on how nice it is. not the sounds but the kanji. I guess it's something only native Japanese can really appreciate. (I only know about 200 kanji so I sure don't!)
What fragrant village? I can understand their reaction. :)

Elizabeth said:
What fragrant village? I can understand their reaction. :)

yes I was thinking about how I can translate it, I was going for something like nice smelling village in Nara..... but then it's only one of the two kanji for Nara. but just Fragrant village sounds nice!

Konnichiwa Nzueda-san!

yes I was thinking about how I can translate it, I was going for something like nice smelling village in Nara..... but then it's only one of the two kanji for Nara. but just Fragrant village sounds nice! :haihai:

"Na" means "Chinese quince tree" or "apple tree". 😄

NANGI

Back
Top Bottom