What's new

We can't save The world, but helping One is saving a world.

Tiny&Cata

Registered
6 Mar 2022
Hello! I guess ill start with, im Tiny! Im 24yo and I have a 3 yo daughter. I live in Ny, U.S.A. .I came across this site today and this is actually my first post! I've recently started pondering the idea of moving to Japan. However I am completely clueless in everything Japan related. I believe I thought about moving to Japan because I used to travel alot my self. I've lived in multiple states like Florida, California, Georgia and a couple other states. Now that I've been through a traumatic situation, its time to start thinking about saving and dreaming of oversees. I thought well Japan has such cutural shock ive heard and it would be a completely different experience . so I want to see if I would be able to make it in Japan! So from anyone wanting to lend a helping hand in informing me about

} legally wise, what I need in order to move to Japan
} hunting and information of location and Housing
} finding Work
} finding child care
} Schooling
} transportation
} budgeting Money
} programs
} Food
} language barrier
} do and donts

...Anything would be of help. Thank you !

Last edited:
Don't do it.
Or at least, don't do it without developing at least a basic knowledge of what Japan is like.

Do consider visiting Japan on vacation for a week or two once travel restrictions are lifted.
Do browse the internet and read up on Japan, and ask basic questions to fill in the gaps in your knowledge about what life in Japan is like.
Do start learning the basics of the Japanese language. It's a difficult language to learn for native English speakers, and it will take you a long time to become proficient, so you might as well start now.

I don't mean to be discouraging -- you could certainly make this happen eventually if you want it badly enough -- but thinking about finding housing, work, childcare, etc., before you even have the most fundamental idea of what living in Japan would be like is putting the cart so far before the horse it's ridiculous.

We can't save The world, but helping One is saving A world.

Hello! I guess ill start with, im Tiny! Im 24yo and I have a 3 yo daughter. I live in Ny, U.S.A. .I came across this site today and this is actually my first post! I've recently started pondering the idea of moving to Japan. However I am completely clueless in everything Japan related. I believe I thought about moving to Japan because I used to travel alot my self. I've lived in multiple states like Florida, California, Georgia and a couple other states. Now that I've been through a traumatic situation, its time to start thinking about saving and dreaming of oversees. I thought well Japan has such cutural shock ive heard and it would be a completely different experience . so I want to see if I would be able to make it in Japan! So from anyone wanting to lend a helping hand in informing me about

} finding Work
} finding child care
} Schooling
} transportation
} budgeting Money
} programs
} Food
} language barrier
} do and donts

...Anything would be of help. Thank you !
I would think Thailand would be a better place at your age. Finding work here can be very challenging since you have a young child and working part time here in this country may not pan out financially for you. But good luck with your dream.

You either need a skilled worker visa, a student visa or spouse.

Let's worry about that later.

} finding Work
What are your qualifications? If you aren't a skilled worker, it would be very difficult. Even if you are skilled, opportunities are limited without language ability.

} finding child care
Difficult. Japan still expects women with children not to work so it's hard to find childcare.

} Schooling
Your daughter could attend local schools no problem.

} transportation
Very good public transportation. No need for a car in most places.

} budgeting Money
The more the better.

} programs
Japan has a great need for workers but do not have a robust way to bring immigrants in to fulfill the need.

} Food
It's similar to Japanese food you may see in the U.S. but 1000x better. Of course you can find all cuisines in larger cities.
And many familiar chains like Starbucks and McDonalds.

} language barrier
Very high. Most people cannot communicate in English well.

I understand you want to make a major change but realistically I think it would be better to consider options with fewer barriers.

Hi Tiny and welcome to the forum.

One of the most important things for getting a job in Japan is having a four-year college degree. Do you have a four-year college degree?

Back
Top Bottom