What's new

Visiting Tokyo / Need Advices

yasir

後輩
21 Feb 2008
Hi All!
I am visiting Tokyo during End July and i would appreciate if you guys here can help me out on the following few matters;
1. I searched through the website of Yodobashi Camera yodobashi dot com and I am thinking of buying some electronics stuff from there. I will buy from the store (not through internet) and i am not sure if the internet prices are the same as the store prices.
Does anyone have some information on this ??
2. I remember there is a 300 yen shop near shinjuku station. Last time I found it by chance, but this time I wish to go there again (to buy cheap gifts for my family,friends,relatives) Can some one give me an idea about how to reach there from the Shinjuku Station ?
3. For buying clothes i'd like to visit the best UNI CLO outlet which is easily reachable through any station on the Yamanote Line
4. Is it recommendable to go to Disney Sea on Sunday ? My concerns are it would be over crowded . Please advise ?
I would really appreciate frank advices to make my trip the best possible.
Domo Arigato Gozaimasu.

Hi All!
I am visiting Tokyo during End July and i would appreciate if you guys here can help me out on the following few matters;
1. I searched through the website of Yodobashi Camera yodobashi dot com and I am thinking of buying some electronics stuff from there. I will buy from the store (not through internet) and i am not sure if the internet prices are the same as the store prices.
Does anyone have some information on this ??
A lot of tourists buy at Yodobashi Camera. There is Bic Camera also in the same area, another popular electronics retailer.
However, I buy on the Internet from Amazon.co.jp because it's cheaper.
2. I remember there is a 300 yen shop near shinjuku station. Last time I found it by chance, but this time I wish to go there again (to buy cheap gifts for my family,friends,relatives) Can some one give me an idea about how to reach there from the Shinjuku Station ?
Do you mean Don Quijote? It is located in many places including Shinjuku. The map is here:
http://www.donki.com/c/shop/shop.php?lang=&shopid=8#
You'll see that the store is to the north of Shinjuku Station.
3. For buying clothes i'd like to visit the best UNI CLO outlet which is easily reachable through any station on the Yamanote Line
Uniqlo also has many stores in Tokyo, including one very close to Shinjuku Station, close to Shinjuku Takashimaya Department Store. You'll be able to figure out where is it by asking the people at the railway station.
The bigger Uniqlo outlets may be those in Shibuya and Ginza, or the new one in LaLaPort Toyosu. I don't know for sure, since I only go to Shinjuku and Kichijoji stores.
4. Is it recommendable to go to Disney Sea on Sunday ? My concerns are it would be over crowded .
Yes, it is very likely to be crowded. Also, kids will be in summer vacation by end of July, meaning the crowds won't be smaller on weekdays either. So, be determined to go despite the crowds.
There may be less people on rainy days, but there's no guarantee... 😌

PS I'm moving this to Japan Practical Section

Thank you very much for your advices Epigene... gokurusama

Re: 1. Since i am not a resident of Japan so i think i cannot do shopping on the internet. I acutally want to buy a digitla Camera and trying to find the cheapest semi-professional camera. Just wanted to know if the prices listed on the website of yobodashi including the discounts will also be available on their stores ?? Wish me luck.

Re: 2. I did visit Donki shop last time. Gosh that space was loaded with stuff. What i wanted to ask was about this 300yen shops where everything is for 300JPY. Any idea ??

Re: 3. I think i'll find the UniQlo store in Tokyo :)

Re: 4. I am 80% determined to go to DisneySea this time. As for the remaining 20%, my heart is convincing my mind realy hard :)

Really excited about my trip and will post more ?

Re: 1. Since i am not a resident of Japan so i think i cannot do shopping on the internet. I acutally want to buy a digitla Camera and trying to find the cheapest semi-professional camera. Just wanted to know if the prices listed on the website of yobodashi including the discounts will also be available on their stores ?? Wish me luck.
If you need to buy at a retail store, I recommend you window-shop at Yodobashi and Bic Camera and buy from the store that sells at a cheaper price. FYI, the biggest Yodobashi store is the one at Shinjuku. The biggest Bic Camera is located next to Yurakucho Station on the Yamanote & Keihin-tohoku Lines.
Re: 2. I did visit Donki shop last time. Gosh that space was loaded with stuff. What i wanted to ask was about this 300yen shops where everything is for 300JPY. Any idea ??
Okay, I think you mean the 100-yen shops. Here is the info for the largest shops:
100 Yen Shop
Machida is very far out from Shinjuku, so I recommend the one in Harajuku (also on the Yamanote Line).
Please note also that the variety at 100-yen shops is shrinking with rise in material/oil costs. For the same reason, some products carry higher price tags even at 100-yen shops.
Re: 4. I am 80% determined to go to DisneySea this time. As for the remaining 20%, my heart is convincing my mind realy hard :)
If you want to go to Disney Sea, don't complain about the crowds... 😊

Thankyou for the nice advices epigene
Lets see if am lucky to shop in Tokyo :D

Although the majority of items in a 100-yen shop cost only 100 yen, you can also find in those same shops items for 200 or 300 yen (perhaps even slightly more). I guess they are just trying to cater to people who want cheap things overall. I'd still say 99% of their items are only 100 yen.

wow... Sugoi des ne
you guys are great.. thanks for the inputs

alotta new info for me

Does somebody know the timings of the yamanote line ?
i guess it stops at the mid night and starts again at early morning

am i right ?

Last edited:
It seems to me that your hotel is in Shinjuku. Am I correct?

i guess it stops at the mid night and starts again at early morning
Right.
I don't know where your hotel is, but a simple rule for Yamanote line,
A rough target for your last train would be around 24:00, and for the first train be around 4:30 in the morning.

If your hotel is in Shinjuku, you can enjoy your mid-night shopping at the discount store, Don Quijote as epigene said.

No matter how Daiso exports its 100yen business model to other countries (actually they do), it is highly unlikely that they would sell the 100 yen Japanese dictionaries/books in other countries.
So it is an idea for you to buy some 100 yen dictionaries, Kanji, phrase or whatever, at Daiso you will go to, if you have some friends/families studying Japanese.

This is not about the 100 yen shop, but it might be interesting to buy...

Urdu-Japanese point-and-speak phrase book
1,890JPY
お探しのページが見つかりません
お探しのページが見つかりません

For your trip in Japan, English-Japanese is useful.
お探しのページが見つかりません
Just buy one soon after you arrive at the airport.

Thanks for all the advices

Since i have a Sunday full day free, i want to utilize and enjoy it to da maximum
Any suggestions ??? My initial plan is to go to Disney Sea but i believe it would be toooo crowded and i don't think i would enjoy that much.

Can you suggest some great options inside Tokyo which are easy to reach, fun to enjoy ?

Well searching for amusement parks in.around tokyo
i came to know of SUMMERLAND
thinking that since its not primarily for kids .. i am interested to check it out
specially to get the roller coaster ride ;)

issue is the same.. CROWD compared to recommendation

need so many advices

First, the bad news:
You're here in end of July (every schoolkid and student in Japan are on vacation), in Tokyo, and you are free on a Sunday: You can't avoid the crowds anywhere you go. Either you give up going anywhere and hang around your hotel or gather up your courage to tackle the crowds.

Assuming you choose the latter, you can go to Summerland, but it's not a popular place for roller coasters. It's primarily a large swimming pool complex, with water slides, etc. It is located a bit far from Tokyo.
Tokyo Summerland

A bit more closer to central Tokyo is Yomiuri Land:
It's a traditional amusement park, delightful especially for small kids. It also has rollercoasters, of which the one named White Canyon is well known. It is one of the most thrilling rides in Japan.
Ride on White Canyon
To get there, you can take either the Keio Line or Odakyu Line. They both have railway stations named Yomiuri Land (located on different entrances to the amusement park).
Yomiuri Land map

The biggest roller coast in Japan is found at Fuji Q Highland, farther out of Tokyo and closer to Mt. Fuji. It's named Fujiyama:
Ride on Fujiyama
Transportation information is here:
http://www.fuji-q.com/fuji-q-en/main/traffic-02.htm

Hope this helps. 🙂

epigene san

GREAT ADVICES and i have made up my mind that i would go to Yomiuri Land
There are water parks as well as roller coasters so i guess i can have a great time

Any advises for going to water park ? (i don't know swimming.. can i still enjoy ??)
Maybe i sound stupid.. but i guess i am over excited about my trip and want to get the max outta it

Also plz confirm that i can take the Keio line from Shinjuku station or Tokyo station?

really appreciate all the help i am getting from you guys

The terminal for both Keio and Odakyu railway lines is Shinjuku.

Have fun! :)

anybody here who has actually visited the water amusement park
any advice regarding the Dos and Donts there ??

heyy.. anybody know about the annual fireworks at Zushi ???
Last year it was July 27th... would it be July 27th again this year ???

IF YES.. i guess that would be the best thing for me

PLEASE ADVISE.. i am leaving for tokyo tomorrow

Date: July 30 this year
Time: 19:45-20:30

According to the weather forecast, no rain will be expected, but it will take place on July 31 when it rains out.

As for your first question, you may wanna check out Akihabara, especially the tax-free stores. There's also a 2nd hand store where they sell good electronics for very honest prices and they will honestly tell you if there's something wrong with their items. Bout a lovely Lumix camera there. Just don't forget that the charging device will have a Japanese plug so you're gonna need a network adapter for home.

Akihabara !

Don't buy 2nd hand electronics in Akiba if you are not
an expert ! I made bad experiences with a Laptop computer !:(

Last edited:
Hi Guys
I have returned from a wonderful trip to japan
following were the highlights
- Zushi Beach
- Ueno market
- Odaiba / Rainbow Bridge
- Harajuku
- Roppongi
- Kinshicho
etc etc etc

i was revisiting this ole and now moved thread of mine
thought that at least i should share the pictures that i took during ma trip to tokyo this summer. Also do take a look at other albums for your viewin pleasure at;
picasaweb.google.com/y.mukhtar
Please do leave comments/feedback - i'd really appreciate

Back
Top Bottom