What's new

V~るも ・ body part を transitive or causative verb

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

I'm a little unsure about the following "body part を transitive or causative verb" constructions. In other sentences I've encountered, the subject (が) of such constructions seems to be the person himself, but in these, the subject seems to be an action. (e.g. "doing this made him twist his body")

Context: "The narrator finds some weird creature lying down on the road."
試しに触れてみる軽く身をよじらせる以外の反応はない。少し離れたところにでも放っておこうと持ち上げると、それが軽く体を震わせていることに気がつく。

1) Is 触れてみるも the same as 触れてみるのも? And if so, is 触れてみるの the subject of 身をよじらせる ( = "touching it made it twist its body") ?

2) Similarly, does それ (in それが軽く体を震わせている) refer to the action of picking it up? And is it the subject of 体を震わせている ( = "that action made its body shiver") ?

1)
も is for adversative conjunction there, thus, it's 試しに触れてみるけれども/触れてみても.

の意味
2[接助]形容詞・形容詞型活用語の連用形、動詞・動詞型活用語の連体形に付く。逆接の意を表す。…とも。…ても。…けれども。「見たくも見られない」「努力するも報われなかった」
も[係助接助終助]の意味 - goo国語辞書

2)
The subject それ is what is shivering/twisting, i.e., the thing/person, not the action.

I see. Thank you!

Then, I guess それ (what is shivering/twisting) is the subject for 軽く身をよじらせる too? But I don't understand why the causative form of よじる, よじらせる is used.

Since よじる means "to twist something", それが身をよじる would make sense. (= "The thing twisted its body").
But よじらせる means "to make someone/something twist something". So それが身をよじらせる = "The thing made its body twist what?"

I'm getting something wrong here, but I can't figure out what...

The causative form is sometimes used for some transitive verbs. The meaning is the same.
e.g.
身を翻す/翻させる(=翻らせる)

Hmm...It seems strange, but ok. I'll take it as it is. Thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom