What's new

shi on the end of verbs

omarf

後輩
18 Nov 2008
...ohayo gozai masu :)
I wanted to ask about adding (shi) on the end of verbs. does it have any meaning or is just like (yo) .. my friend used it saying ( tesuto ga mata arushi ). ☝

Yes, it has meaning; no, it's not just like yo (which also has meaning, by the way). It basically means "and," although when it's in a string (particularly one ending with kara) it can also mean "because." Lots of times it seems to be used like kedo or ga at the end of sentences, except of course that it doesn't mean "but."

tesuto ga mata aru shi (are you sure that's right? Seems kind of weird to me (not that that always means anything))

"I've got a test again tomorrow, so/and..." kind of implying "I have to study" or "I have to get going" or something like that.

From what I learned, it can also be used to list verbs (as well as other parts of speech).

テストがあるし、宿題もある。

tesuto ga mata aru shi (are you sure that's right? Seems kind of weird to me (not that that always means anything))

"I've got a test again tomorrow, so/and..." kind of implying "I have to study" or "I have to get going" or something like that.

This doesn't sound weird at all. I have no real basis of comparison in terms of how much it was used 5 10 or 20 years ago, but shi is used all the time, especially by young people. Sometimes in almost every other sentence. In this case, think of it as trailing off when explaining something or answering a question.

Yes, I remember very particular scenes in anime or JDramas where (most likely) a female character was speaking concering a matter, and 'shi' was used at the end of several of her statements made. I've been wondering for quite some time what saying 'shi' that way was for. I didn't know it was for verbs... So 'shi' can be put in the same kind of catagory as 'sa', 'zo', 'yo', 'ka', etc. to further clarify the nature of the statement?

What I mean is:

'yo' - can be used to emphasise a point
'ka' - can be used to mark a question
'shi' - can be used to express an open-ended thought, perhaps..?

I'm not saying these things are fact, but I'm asking how precise they are.
Thank for your help!

- Aurura

This doesn't sound weird at all. I have no real basis of comparison in terms of how much it was used 5 10 or 20 years ago, but shi is used all the time, especially by young people. Sometimes in almost every other sentence. In this case, think of it as trailing off when explaining something or answering a question.

I wasn't talking about し. I was thinking that テストがまたあるし was strange because for some reason I didn't feel like you would say that about some test you hadn't been talking about already; i.e., it was が being used along with また (and し as well, I guess) that made it feel weird to me at first (up until after I posted) -- felt like it should have been は. But I thought about it and it seemed perfectly fine after that.

Yes, I remember very particular scenes in anime or JDramas where (most likely) a female character was speaking concering a matter, and 'shi' was used at the end of several of her statements made. I've been wondering for quite some time what saying 'shi' that way was for. I didn't know it was for verbs... So 'shi' can be put in the same kind of catagory as 'sa', 'zo', 'yo', 'ka', etc. to further clarify the nature of the statement?

What I mean is:

'yo' - can be used to emphasise a point
'ka' - can be used to mark a question
'shi' - can be used to express an open-ended thought, perhaps..?

I'm not saying these things are fact, but I'm asking how precise they are.
Thank for your help!

- Aurura

Yeah, it can be sort of like "and, you know." It's a lot closer to が, けど, けれど, けれども, のに, etc. than it is any of the ones you listed (except it has an additive meaning ("and"), not a contrastive one ("but/although"), as I said above).

In terms of construction you just add it to the end of a sentence like any of the ones listed above (not necessarily just verbs).

A: 先生!
B: いや、彼は学生だけど。

彼女は優しいし、きれいだし、頭もいい。

明日のパーティ行く?俺も行くし・・・ (alright, someone check that one for naturalness)

Yeah, it can be sort of like "and, you know." It's a lot closer to が, けど, けれど, けれども, のに, etc. than it is any of the ones you listed (except it has an additive meaning ("and"), not a contrastive one ("but/although"), as I said above).

In terms of construction you just add it to the end of a sentence like any of the ones listed above (not necessarily just verbs).

A: 先生!
B: いや、彼は学生だけど。

彼女は優しいし、きれいだし、頭もいい。

明日のパーティ行く?俺も行くし・・・ (alright, someone check that one for naturalness)

Right. 'Shi' often provides supporting evidence or additional elaboration by listing reasons in an inexhaustive manner.

Back
Top Bottom