What's new

Help Usingほうがいい

Denisel

後輩
17 Sep 2016
A:来週仕事の面接にいきます。
B:_早く用意したほうがいい__かんばってください。
Is this ok?

The -te form ~ほうがよくて doesn't make sense with がんばってください.

Is this ok?
What do you want to say by the underlined part?

Is this ok?
早く準備した方がいい。頑張ってください。
Also, on a different note, if A is talking to themselves they could say 早く準備すべき(するべき)だね but this could sound a little rude coming from B.

早く準備した方がいい。頑張ってください。
Also, on a different note, if A is talking to themselves they could say 早く準備すべき(するべき)だね but this could sound a little rude coming from B.

I am supposed to use ほうがいい for the blanks. Suggestions please. I really cannot answer.

The -te form doesn't make sense there, as I pointed out in my previous post. The -te form itself doesn't have meaning. The meaning is provided by the relation between the two clauses. There is no obvious semantic relation between "you'd better prepare the interview early" and "do your best", so ほうがよくて doesn't work well there. If it's 早く準備してがんばってください without using ほうがいい, it makes sense as "Prepare the interview early, and do your best/Do your best (at the interview) by preparing the interview early". 早く準備したほうがいいから、がんばってください also makes sense, but B is actually saying that "do your best at the preparation", not interview in this sentence.
You need to make two sentences, not clauses, there. "You'd better prepare the interview early. Do your best." Thus, your initial answer is almost correct. The main problem is that ほうがいい is not polite form whereas がんばってください is polite. Try again using 準備する instead of 用意する, as already corrected.

The -te form doesn't make sense there, as I pointed out in my previous post. The -te form itself doesn't have meaning. The meaning is provided by the relation between the two clauses. There is no obvious semantic relation between "you'd better prepare the interview early" and "do your best", so ほうがよくて doesn't work well there. If it's 早く準備してがんばってください without using ほうがいい, it makes sense as "Prepare the interview early, and do your best/Do your best (at the interview) by preparing the interview early". 早く準備したほうがいいから、がんばってください also makes sense, but B is actually saying that "do your best at the preparation", not interview in this sentence.
You need to make two sentences, not clauses, there. "You'd better prepare the interview early. Do your best." Thus, your initial answer is almost correct. The main problem is that ほうがいい is not polite form whereas がんばってください is polite. Try again using 準備する instead of 用意する, as already corrected.
B:早く準備したほうがいいです。かんばってください。

早く準備したほうがいいです is the best answer since it's suggestion.

Judging from the OP's words "I am supposed to use ほうがいい for the blanks", I think she can't read the kanji 方.

Judging from the OP's words "I am supposed to use ほうがいい for the blanks", I think she can't read the kanji 方.
I see. She apparently didn't make any serious effort, either. @Denisel Good luck OP, I hope you actually try to study and learn rather than look to strangers to give your your HW answers on the internet.

I see. She apparently didn't make any serious effort, either. @Denisel Good luck OP, I hope you actually try to study and learn rather than look to strangers to give your your HW answers on the internet.

I thank you for trying to help. Did you noticed I provided my own answer in the post? There are three replies to my post with three different answers and I do not know which one is correct and there was no confirmation that your answer is correct at that time, that was why I asked for further clarifications. I feel that you should not accused me of not making serious effort. The usage of ほうがいい was taught in the lesson without using that Kanji so how would I know......see attached pic.

BTW, that question is the only question from last week's homework that I asked for help here.

Attachments

• 2017-06-13 15.50.50.jpg
    2017-06-13 15.50.50.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
If you can't read the kanji 方, you should look it up in the dictionary. Then, you would be able to get the correct reading relatively easily. Or, you can also ask it here. There seems to be something you could do before just asking for suggestions, and I think these are called "serious effort", too.

I thank you for trying to help. Did you noticed I provided my own answer in the post?
...The usage of ほうがいい was taught in the lesson without using that Kanji so how would I know...
Your welcome. Yes, you repeated the answer I gave you, more than a day after I posted it, with your only reply to me indicating that you didn't even bother to look up a simple kanji that you didn't know. I didn't realize that you aren't using any kanji in your class/textbook, but you ignored the overall help I gave.

I feel that you should not accused me of not making serious effort.
It takes a second to copy+paste a sentence into a translator, if there's a kanji/word you can't read. If you want to progress in your Japanese studies, I sincerely advise you to use all available resources. I said you didn't make a serious effort because you didn't.
As I said before, and I mean this sincerely, good luck! ;)

I feel that you should not accused me of not making serious effort

I have to agree with you.

There is no significant difference between 用意する and 準備する and your first post used the target grammar correctly. All it really needed was a little touch-up.

It is a mistake to twist being miffed at what at worst was an extraordinarily minor faux pas in posting etiquette into a claim that you made no serious effort.

I have to agree with you.

...All it really needed was a little touch-up.

It is a mistake to twist being miffed at what at worst was an extraordinarily minor faux pas in posting etiquette into a claim that you made no serious effort.
Did you read her posts after her first attempt? My statement of not making a serious effort was in regards to the entire rest of the thread, not her first attempt (which was good).

Actually, there is difference in meaning between 用意する and 準備する.;) The former is basically used for to prepare concrete things, whereas the latter can be used for abstract things. So, there is no problem with 面接のためにスーツを用意する "to prepare business suit for the interview", but 準備する is more appropriate for general preparation for the interview such like simulation questions and answers or practice of greeting. That's why I, too, chose 準備する instead of 用意する. I think it's better to ask the reason why we chose 準備する, not just accept it simply because we recommended to use. Even if this is a bit advanced for the OP now, it must be useful for understanding. (This is at least serious attitude for learning, I believe.)

I think it's better to ask the reason why we chose 準備する, not just accept it simply because we recommended to use. Even if this is a bit advanced for the OP now, it must be useful for understanding. (This is at least serious attitude for learning, I believe.)
That's the way I've always viewed my Japanese studies. It's not the "what" you use that matters it's the "why" you use it.

Did you read her posts after her first attempt? My statement of not making a serious effort was in regards to the entire rest of the thread, not her first attempt (which was good).

Yes, I did.

I still find it difficult to come to the conclusion they indicate she didn't make a serious effort. It comes across more as you looking sore about not being sufficiently acknowledged.

Actually, there is difference in meaning between 用意する and 準備する.

My point was that in the context of filling in that blank using 〜方がいい either is conceivable. There's nothing telling us what is being 準備ed or 用意ed.

And in the general context where it's not mentioned specifically about what is prepared for the interview, 準備する is more appropriate and natural for 面接 because 準備する can include concrete things such like business suit. Also, 来週 would be another key. If it's, for instance 今日の午後 this afternoon, 用意する would be acceptable since it calls to mind concrete preparation to go to the interview (e.g. changing cloths, putting documents into the bag, etc.). It's said that 準備する is often used for preparation for a long term, whereas 用意する is for a short term. Probably this difference is also from this "abstract vs. concrete". I think it's useful even for beginner learners to see these kinds of natural expressions, including the sentence final particle よ I added.:)

Yes, I did.

I still find it difficult to come to the conclusion they indicate she didn't make a serious effort. It comes across more as you looking sore about not being sufficiently acknowledged.
As a member of various forums, seeing similar posts by people who glance at a reply and simply say "guys I need help with X, can't someone answer my homework for me?" from everything from chemistry/physics questions to Japanese, I couldn't help but point out that the OP continued asking until several people gave the same answer. I couldn't care less about being acknowledged. But if she wants to succeed in her studies, I think she needs to put in a little more effort than just "I can't read this kanji, it must not be right, I'll keep asking". Anyway, It's neither here nor there. @Denisel As I said before, and I mean it, good luck and try your best! 👍

Your welcome. Yes, you repeated the answer I gave you, more than a day after I posted it, with your only reply to me indicating that you didn't even bother to look up a simple kanji that you didn't know. I didn't realize that you aren't using any kanji in your class/textbook, but you ignored the overall help I gave.

It takes a second to copy+paste a sentence into a translator, if there's a kanji/word you can't read. If you want to progress in your Japanese studies, I sincerely advise you to use all available resources. I said you didn't make a serious effort because you didn't.
As I said before, and I mean this sincerely, good luck! ;)
Thanks for your reminder. I received three suggestions which confused me and I was hurrying at that time because I was busy. Thanks everyone for the time and discussion.

Back
Top Bottom