What's new

User titles

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
I have modified the default user titles. Your title depends on your number of posts. As I am interested in sumo , I have chosen sekitori ranks:

Yokozuna (grand champion, 1000 posts)
Oozeki (champion, 500 posts)
Sekiwake (junior champion, 250 posts)
Komusubi (100 posts)
Maegashira (50 posts)
Juuriyou (40 posts)
Makushita (30 posts)
Sandanme (20 posts)
Jonidan (10 posts)
Jonukuchi

:)

More info on sumo

=> http://members.aol.com/mikazue/structure.html

These are just the default titles. You can change your user title to whatever you please through your Control Panel.

well, maybe u can have multiple rank systems so people can pick from stuff like Sumo, Normal, J-Pop, Anime, ETC

a lot of sites have ranking choices, so maybe that could be an idea ^_^

That sounds like a good idea, I will check if I can customize the forum software to allow multiple ranking systems.

Any idea for anime-related user titles?

well AnimeX has Dragonball, NERV, Naturo, Otaku, Magical Girl and Shonen

for examples here is a link:

http://www.animex.com/interactive/mb/index.cfm

for DBZ they have power levels with the specifics
for Otaku they have Otakism level
Shonen/Naturo/NERV had different levels in the series
Magical Girl is all type of females in anime

The only problem with having multiple ranking systems is that nobody will be able to figure out how high which rank is, thus making the whole system a bit obsolete... 😏

That's true. Well, you could always associate specific colours or symbols with specific ranks. I will install the hack on my test board and see if it works.

/me adds one more item to the to-do-list.

Addendum: I just noticed that another J-related board uses exactly the same user titles. Now, I don't want to be accused of plagiarism, so if anyone can come up with new titles I'll be glad to implement them asap!

😊

Last edited:
Well, we could use "nobility" titles such as Tennou (Emperor), Shougun, Daimyou, Shoumyou, Samurai, Ronin, etc. I am not sure exactly how these titles were precisely attributed, so I'll have to check it.

I don't know if it's possible to add an option "gender", so that the Emperor become Empress (Kougyo), then we could have the ladies in waiting's rank like in the Tale of Genji or the name for the previous male titles's wife (which I don't know yet).

Nobility on our egalitarian board?! LOL, I thought of that too, will consult my wise books.

Hm, what about using shogi pieces:

O-sho (Jeweled General): 1000 posts
Kin-sho (Gold General): 500 posts
Gin-sho (Silver General): 250 posts
Kei (Honorable Horse): 100 posts
Kyosha (Lance): 50 posts
Hisha (Flying Chariot): 25 posts
Kaku (Angel Goer): 10 posts
Fu (Foot Soldier)

Additionally, we could display the corresponding shogi piece under each user name.

That's a good idea, but I am affraid few people will understand (even less than the sumo, but I am still more confused by anime titles !). It would look better in kanji, but not everybody has a computer that reads kanji :(

I found a nice solution: images. :)

See the example below, it's a TT font set:

Attachments

• ou-shou.gif
    ou-shou.gif
    597 bytes · Views: 410
I like them too. Excellent choice Thomas !

Hmm, I am nearing the Kinshou title... Do you think it's possible to add the title under "advisor" ? What about making the image a little bit bigger, as kanji appear quite small and almost unreadable on my screen.

Glad you all like them! :)

I'll post a detailed description of each title later today. I'll also try to enlarge them, and they shall be displayed for forum members too.

OK, I have slightly enlarged the user title images, the kanji should now be visible. Forum members also display shogi graphics.

What's Shogi??

Here's a small explanation from the World of Shogi:

Shogi is a Japanese board game played by two players. The object of the game is to capture the opponent's King. Shogi is played on a nine-by-nine board and each player has twenty pieces. Shogi is much like 'western' chess, but has some very interesting differences. One is that almost all pieces can promote to stronger pieces once they reach the opposite side of the board. The second very important difference is that when a piece is captured, it becomes a piece for the capturing side, and can be dropped back onto the board! This makes for a very exciting game, with an extremely low percentage of draws. Many strong Chess players have found Shogi to be a great game to play. Although played by millions in Japan, so far it is not so well known outside Japan.

Pieces:

Ou-shou / Gyokushou
( Jeweled General ) - the O-sho (or Sho for short) is the primary piece in Shogi. It is the equivalent of the western King and must not put itself into check and must escape check when placed in that position. Mating the opponent's O-sho is the object of the game, resulting in a checkmate win. The O-sho moves one square in any direction - giving it the same moves as the modern King. It does not promote.

Kin-shou ( Gold General ) - the Kin-shou (or Kin for short) is considered one of the more powerful pieces in the game given its range of motion is almost as versatile as the Ou-shou's but has no check limitations. Both Kin start out as companions for the Ou-shou. The Kin can move one space in six directions - every direction but the backward diagonals. The Kin also does not promote but most other pieces promote to the powers of a Kin.

Gin-shou ( Silver General ) - the Gin-shou (or Gin for short) is a secondary starting companion of the Ou-shou and Kin. It can move one space in five directions - any of the four diagonal and straight forward. It promotes to a Nari-gin with the powers of a Kin.

Keima ( Honorable Horse ) - the Keima (or Kei for short) is the only piece in regular Shogi that can change direction in mid-movement. It is related to the original Horse pieces to the west but has a much more limited movement. The Kei moves two squares forward followed by one square to the left or right, leaping over the intervening spaces - it cannot move any other way so its motion is always forward across the board. It promotes to a Nari-kei with the powers of a Kin.

Kyosha / Yari ( Fragrant Chariot / Lance ) - the Kyosha has a simple movement. It can move forward any number of unobstructed squares (it may not leap) but can move in no other direction. The Kyosha promotes to a Nari-kyou with the same powers as a Kin.

Hisha ( Flying Chariot ) - the Hisha is one of the most powerful piece in regular Shogi. It may travel any number of unobstructed squares forward, backward, or sideways. It may not leap. Its moves are identical to the original Chariot pieces of India that both it and the modern western Rook are descended from. The Hisha was not present in the old Heian Shogi. It promotes to a Ryo-wo which is even more powerful.

Kakugyou ( Angel Goer ) - the Kakugyou (or Kaku for short) is also a powerful piece in regular Shogi. It may travel any number of unobstructed squares in the four diagonal directions. It may not leap. Its moves are identical to the modern Bishop (though almost definately not related). The Kaku was not present in the old Heian Shogi. It promotes to a Ryo-uma.

Fuhyou / Ho ( Foot soldier ) - the Fuhyou (or Fu for short) are in front of the more powerful pieces, starting on the third rank and at the entrance to the opponent's promotion zone. The Fu move straight forward one square at a time and have no other option of movement. Though they are the Pawns of Shogi they do not capture differently than they move and thus can never move diagonally. They also do not possess the initial double-step of modern western Pawns. They promote to a Tokin.

More info on shogi pieces

User titles:

Ou-shou: 1000 posts
Kin-shou: 500 posts
Gin-shou: 250 posts
Keima: 100 posts
Yari: 50 posts
Hisha: 25 posts
Kakugyou: 10 posts
Fuhyo

Back
Top Bottom