What's new

usage of "no"

naark

先輩
22 Oct 2011
i don't know if this question is very simple but i really can't get how
the particle "no" is used in this manga title "KIMI no IRU MACHI"
which translates to "the town where you live"...
why is "no" used not "ni"??
and what really is the usage of "no" if its preceding a verb like on the question..

also to MODs
if i'll be having another question maybe not now but in the future, is it OK if i post it here and not make another thread???

i don't know if this question is very simple but i really can't get how
the particle "no" is used in this manga title "KIMI no IRU MACHI"
which translates to "the town where you live"...
why is "no" used not "ni"??
and what really is the usage of "no" if its preceding a verb like on the question..
"No" is used as a subject marker in an adnominal/attributive clause. You can think it as "ga", not "ni".

also to MODs
if i'll be having another question maybe not now but in the future, is it OK if i post it here and not make another thread???
I'm not a moderator, but both are OK in JREF. Just do as you like. However, it might not be appropriate to post a question which has no relation with the particle "no" in this thread, since it's confuging, JIMO.

You can think it as "ga", not "ni"

wow.. nice explanation on this part... cause i really don't know much on english sentence terms like "adnominal/attributive clause"
lol
anyways when i'm thinking of it as "ga" i did got its meaning but how will i know of when i'll be using "ga" or "no"???

"Adnominal/Attributive clause", 連体節/連体修飾節 in Japanese, is equivalent to the relative clause in English grammar, if you've learned it.

how will i know of when i'll be using "ga" or "no"???
"No" is used as a subject marker in an adnominal/attributive clause, as I wrote. Thus, you can't say "Kimi no machi ni sundeiru", instead of "Kimi ga machi ni sundeiru(You live in a town/city)", at least in Modern Japanese.

"Adnominal/Attributive clause", 連体節/連体修飾節 in Japanese, is equivalent to the relative clause in English grammar, if you've learned it.

"No" is used as a subject marker in an adnominal/attributive clause, as I wrote. Thus, you can't say "Kimi no machi ni sundeiru", instead of "Kimi ga machi ni sundeiru(You live in a town/city)", at least in Modern Japanese.

i'm sorry... i think i misunderstood...
i though you mean something like this
"kimi no iru machi" can also be said as "kimi ga iru machi"
and about "adnominal/attributive clause" its kinda like
i learned english not through books and classes its more on like naturally
'coz of my environment...
anyways i'll try to search that in google

You understood it correctly. "Kimi no iru machi" can be rephrased to "Kimi ga iru machi".

Kimi no iru machi
the town (where) you live (in)

In the example above, "(where) you live (in)" is the relative clause, which is modifying the preceding noun. Similarly, "Kimi no iru" is modifying "machi" in Japanese, and this kind of clause is called 連体節/連体修飾節 in Japanese grammar. The adnominal/attributive clause is an English translation of this term.

arigatou gozaimasu...
i think i'll still stick of thinking the "no" can be equivalent to "ga" in that kind of sentence pattern.
cause its easy for me to understand it on that point of view...
and again thanks for the help and quick replies...

Back
Top Bottom