What's new

News University entrance exam: 18-year-old student cheats with smart glasses


Unswerving cyclist
14 Mar 2002
Tokyo Metropolitan Police are considering sending the case of an 18-year-old man to the prosecutors for purportedly using smart glasses with a camera to cheat during an entrance exam at Waseda University's School of Creative Science and Engineering. The individual, a high school senior at the time, is accused of photographing the test papers and sharing them on a platform previously known as Twitter, seeking help from users to answer the exam questions on 16 February.

Smart glasses

The man said during voluntary questioning that he was worried he may not get into a university after performing poorly on standardized tests and being rejected by national universities, they said. The case came to light after a person who responded to one of his questions online contacted Waseda University. The university consulted the police after he appeared for another exam for a different faculty on Feb. 21 and an official noticed a small camera in the frame of his glasses. Neither of the faculties has admitted the man. "Since the student was found to have cheated, we have invalidated his exam results," a university spokesperson said. Waseda University's entrance exam guidelines require examinees to turn off communications-capable electronic devices and store them in bags, including mobile phones and wearable devices. The latest case is part of a broader issue of examinees' attempting to cheat on university entrance examinations.

Here are some updates on the story above: The 18-year-old student from Machida, Tokyo, who meticulously planned to cheat on Waseda University's entrance exam, sought accomplices through his X account, filtering for individuals proficient in chemistry and capable of tackling challenging questions. He reached out to them, proposing they act as virtual tutors. On the exam day, he covertly captured images of the questions using smart glasses and discreetly transmitted them to his hidden smartphone for his tutors to solve. After the exam, he used an electronic payment service to send thousands of yen to those who sent him answers.

The Metropolitan Police Department sent papers in the case to prosecutors on 16 May. I hope we'll hear how this case was resolved.

Top Bottom