What's new

High school students skirts

thistle

先輩
28 May 2006
Maybe this topic has been covered and I haven't noticed, but I wonder
what other people think of the really short mini skirts the high school students wear. Do you think they should be allowed? Do you not think they are provocative?
A few girls pass by me in the morning, walking right by the base gate, with all these guys driving past them in the morning. I know my husband used to say he would never let his daughter out of the house like that. I have heard that
they are shorter here in Okinawa than they are in the mainland.

afaik they are much longer than what you see; girls leave the house and roll them up at the waist to make them shorter, or actually hem them that way. Its technically a violation of most dress codes, but try enforcing a rule that everyone breaks...

I have noticed here that if you go to Naha they are very short and the farther North you go the longer the skirts become.

you are quite right, I have noticed that the girl with the shockingly short
skirt does get on a bus going to Naha. Wears the same skirt all through
winter as well. It's really beyond me!

You really want to know that??

I would't surprise. Here in my.. town you can see junior high girls wearing 25 cms long skirts to go to school. I think it stops at 10th grade, cos they're allowed then to wear jeans.

I never used one till this summer, when I went out with some friends... I felt so.. naked...

My point was that not that they are offensive to me, I was actually trying
to say that I think Japanese society is still rather naive, in allowing
such short mini skirts to be worn to school. In Okinawa there are
relatively few incidents, but on mainland I think there are quite a few
crazy, peverted people. I know, I have come across them before.

Yeah, I wonder what they wear in the winter in colder places like Hokkaido, or do they just suffer throught the cold. Anybody know about this??

Mauricio

I asked a High School student of mine once why she and her friends wore such short skirts. (it was a lesson on fashion)
Her reply, "It makes our legs look longer"

Yeah. I think short skirts are up to the girls. They just wanna look good/ attract attention. If it's offensive, the school should be up a regulation on the acceptable length of skirts. that's what my school does. Do they have that in Japan?

Yeah. I think short skirts are up to the girls. They just wanna look good/ attract attention. If it's offensive, the school should be up a regulation on the acceptable length of skirts. that's what my school does. Do they have that in Japan?

Yes, they have school rules on dress code.
Another lesson with the same High School student from my previous post.

Me: So, you are waiting for your friend and she hasn't turned up, why?
Her: The teacher caught her.
Me: Why did the teacher catch her?
Her: Because her skirt was too short.

If it's offensive, the school should be up a regulation on the acceptable length of skirts. that's what my school does. Do they have that in Japan?

They do have dress code. It is just that they roll them up when they are out of school, so in school, they might have them normal length, just above the knee.

Mauricio

Rhetorical question:

Why do people find the human body (especially those instilled with youth and beauty) offensive?

It's seriously beyond me.

@Nall-ohki: My pt of view is ....That's because Japan is an Asian society who values conservative dressing so that one looks appropriate and smart

@others:
Oh, so they do have a dress-code. Perhaps stricter school rules could be enforced.

In some singapore schools, the discipline mistress would be really strict and conduct checks everyday. The girls with short skirts would be given long skirts to change into. It happens everytime when girls flout the rules so in the end, girls would give in and dress correctly.

The more extreme measure would be calling in the parents. That's the ultimum.

But enforcing such rules might be inappropriate as these girls are already of certain maturity and by doing these, it insults their intelligence.

So...I guess there is no win-win solution? Unless the school uniform has skirts till the ankles, but it could be too warm in summer. haha.

Rhetorical question:

Why do people find the human body (especially those instilled with youth and beauty) offensive?

It's seriously beyond me.

Teenage boys find short skirts to be distracting. I know I did. 😌 I believe that's a constant no matter which country you live in, and I think schools have a right to provide optimal learning conditions for all of their students. If all the boys are staring at the girls, they're not staring where they should be, at their books.🙂

Yes. I agree with Clawn. Raging Hormones! That's why school skirts should be around knee length. The school is a place to study and acquire knowledge, and distractions are a no-no. :)

Nice responses you guys, but all of those are answers to why people might see short skirts as being something to not be allowed...

What I asked is "Why is it offensive?"

A teacher used to refer to mini-skirts as something that "should be short enough to be interesting but long enough to cover the subject."

I think it's Offensive when girls show too much skin, they are distracting to the boys in school. To the boys: It can be a source of enjoyment but also, a frustration.

ArmandV: You have a witty teacher!:)

I think it's Offensive when girls show too much skin, they are distracting to the boys in school. To the boys: It can be a source of enjoyment but also, a frustration.

This is what I'm talking about: how does this offend you?

She's not making you get naked. She's not indicating that you should show more skin. She's simply wearing something the way she wants. There is communication in that, but I doubt that message is anything that anyone should be angry about.

Is the fact that women are sexual beings offensive? If so, god was really having a fun day there.

This is what I'm talking about: how does this offend you?

She's not making you get naked. She's not indicating that you should show more skin. She's simply wearing something the way she wants. There is communication in that, but I doubt that message is anything that anyone should be angry about.

Is the fact that women are sexual beings offensive? If so, god was really having a fun day there.

Women are not simply "sexual beings." I find the fact that you call them that offensive. What I do not find offensive is short skirts. I do find someone doing something that distracts me while I'm trying to work offensive. No, she's not making me get naked, and yes, she's wearing something the way she wants. The feeling that comes to young males is not one of anger, but one of arousal. Which, most definitely, is not what he should be feeling when attempting to study. Nothing about short skirts is offensive. That is not the question being posed here. The question was whether or not short skirts in high school are provocative and should they be allowed. :p

Also, I believe Gazerocks already answered your question as to why they think it is offensive:
I think it's Offensive when girls show too much skin, they are distracting to the boys in school.
🙂

Women are not simply "sexual beings." I find the fact that you call them that offensive.

Nall-ohki said:
Is the fact that women are sexual beings offensive?

Way to misread. No where did I demean women by calling them "simply 'sexual beings'". Women are sexual, men are sexual; the whole human race and all mammals are sexual. Read up on it.

It's rather interesting that suggesting that women are sexual brings an attack like this.

www.answers.com said:
of·fen·sive (ə-fĕn'sĭv) pronunciation
adj.

1. Disagreeable to the senses: an offensive odor.
2. Causing anger, displeasure, resentment, or affront: an offensive gesture.
1. Making an attack: The offensive troops gained ground quickly.
2. Of, relating to, or designed for attack: offensive weapons.
4. (ŏf'ĕn-) Sports. Of or relating to a team having possession of a ball or puck: the offensive line.

3 and 4 do not even relate.

1. is obviously not it, as it is a strange person to find young women's legs disagreeable to the senses (excepting for special cases).

2. Is the only possibility. Let's go one by one.

anger - Bare female legs make you angry? If that's so, I suggest you rethink the way you think about women. Like I said above, women and girls are sexual beings, and they play the game just like men do. Don't think that there aren't tons of boys in their school encouraging these girls to look this way. The girls desire to be popular, and doing this helps get them there.

displeasure - This is about the best one of the bunch - it could displease you because you think it distracts the boys. However, if this is the case, displeasure is a better word for what you're feeling. Offense is a strong word, and casual use just waters down its impact.

resentment - I suppose this could be the case if you're jealous of the girls for some reason. In this case I feel that's your problem - it's not the girls' job to not make you resent them.

affront - Only works if you feel that teenage hormones and sexual behavior are an affront to education, being a woman, or something else.

ArmandV: You have a witty teacher!:)

Actually the girls don't care about the boys.
They only think the skirts are cute.

Back
Top Bottom