What's new

Tsukiji Fish Market, Tokyo

ArmandV

Eight Times To Japan
Contributor
18 Oct 2004
One of the things I wanted to do while in Japan last month was to visit the Tsukiji Fish Market. Unfortunately, I didn't make it over. Has anyone gone there recently to see the auctions (in the wee hours) and what did you think of it overall?

I try to go there every time I am in Tokyo. I think it is one of the most interesting places in Japan. The Tokyo Governor Ishihara had plans to move the whole marked somewhere else. However during his recent election campaign he said that he would reconsider the plan.
:gohan:
I think you do not have to go there very early in the morning, because at time it is very hectic and you will only get in the way. The area where they sell the expensive frosen tuna is really like a stockmarked and you will hardly be very welcome there. However, during the morning there is a lot of activity where people sell fish and other seafood from small stalls. Later when you have enjoyed the scene you can got to the area where they sell seaweed, tools etc. it is also very interesting. Finally, at lunch you shuld try one of the sushi restaurants there. :gohan:

There are lots of photos in the GALLERY section under Food & Drink.
:)

I try to go there every time I am in Tokyo. I think it is one of the most interesting places in Japan. The Tokyo Governor Ishihara had plans to move the whole marked somewhere else. However during his recent election campaign he said that he would reconsider the plan.
:gohan:
I think you do not have to go there very early in the morning, because at time it is very hectic and you will only get in the way. The area where they sell the expensive frosen tuna is really like a stockmarked and you will hardly be very welcome there. However, during the morning there is a lot of activity where people sell fish and other seafood from small stalls. Later when you have enjoyed the scene you can got to the area where they sell seaweed, tools etc. it is also very interesting. Finally, at lunch you shuld try one of the sushi restaurants there. :gohan:
There are lots of photos in the GALLERY section under Food & Drink.
:)

I've heard that they've tightened up on visitors during the auction period (including useage of flash photography) a year or two ago. Plus, I've also heard that the dealers and sellers have been complaining about visitors getting in the way. Still, it would be interesting to see the process. I'll check out the photos. Thanks.

I've heard that they've tightened up on visitors during the auction period (including useage of flash photography) a year or two ago. Plus, I've also heard that the dealers and sellers have been complaining about visitors getting in the way. Still, it would be interesting to see the process. I'll check out the photos. Thanks.

I think that they will accept you as a visitor as long as you get out of the way and respect that you are merely a spectator. Actually, I newer attended any auctions there myself, yet I have been entertained by the lively atmosphere there for many hours.👍

Actually, a few years ago the people working in Tsukiji encouraged visitors to come, because they knew that the Governor would like to use the land. Beeing one of the most popular tourist attractions in Tokyo the business people in Tsukiji hope that they will be allowed to remain in the traditional location close to Ginza. They know that without friends they can not withstand the preassure from people who likes to turn all of central Tokyo into shopping malls and office buildings.
:(

I went there on May22nd at about 5:30am. In a corner there were a group of men sitting on benches. It was an auction but I don't exactly know what they were auctioning off.

The workers there are so patient with visitors/gawkers. Whenever I saw a visitor that seem to be in the way, the worker wouldn't say a thing and just kinda wait till the visitor figure out on their own that they were in the way. There were times i wanted to yell "Get the f--- out of the way!!"

its great! we went there to buy fish for our sushi dinner that night. also theres awsome tempura and sushi places right across the street and the lines can go all the way around the building.

and if you watch the auctions some of the fish can go for TONS of money.

watch out for the big carts driving around. they WILL splash you with nasty fish water!!!

Back
Top Bottom