What's new

Travel Travel in Tokyo & Kyoto in July 2014

sasori

Registered
3 Apr 2014
Hello, I'm 20 years old and from Malaysia.I need someone to kindly guide me for a few days in Kyoto and Tokyo because I'm afraid that my Japanese level is a little mediocre,please do suggest any cheap and nice places and food. :)

(13/7-16/7 Afternoon) Tokyo
(16/7-20/7 Afternoon) Kyoto

Last edited by a moderator:
In big cities such as those, you don't need more than "thank you" in Japanese. Locals don't expect foreigners to know any of their language, and most public transportation signs are in Japanese and English. Menus either have pictures on them, or they may also be bilingual. What did you need help for?

Can't suggest "nice places" without knowing more about you and your interests in Japan. Why did you choose to come here instead of Turkey, Canada, Russia, or Germany, for example?

Also know that you will be visiting Kyoto in the middle of the Gion Festival, Kyoto's biggest festival - and one of the three biggest festivals in Japan. 16th and 17th will be particularly crazy in downtown Kyoto. The Gion Festival is a great thing to see at least once, but be warned that the city will be difficult to navigate due to the streets in the city center being blocked off, and the other streets being crowded with traffic (made worse by the huge influx of tourists). If you have a place to stay downtown, it will be an experience of a lifetime. If you are on the outskirts of town it will take some careful planning and some patience to figure out the best way to get around.

Kyoto Visitor's Guide-The Gion Matsuri Festival-

Sumida River Fireworks Festival
Date: Sat. July 26, 2014
The festival will be cancelled in case of rain.
Time: 7:05 PM - 8:30 PM
Location: Sumida River (at two sites. For details, see the map).
Origins of the Kawabiraki (Opening of the River) and Fireworks Displays
(from a Shinto rite to a pleasant pastime)
English Gaidance

Inexpensive place to stay and Kyoto travel ideas

An inexpensive, comfortable and clean place to stay in both Tokyo and Kyoto is the K's House. The staff there are multi-lingual and are very knowledgeable about the area. The K's House in Kyoto also has an all-you-can-eat buffet breakfast for about ツ・700.
In Kyoto I strongly recommend visiting the town of Ohara in the mountains to the north of the city (only requires train fare and bus fare to get there). Ginkakuji (the Silver Pavillion), Fushimi Inari Taisha and the Arashiyama Monkey Park are my favorite sites in Kyoto.
For more information about things to do and places to stay and what they cost, I recommend browsing wikitravel Kyoto and JapanTravel.com
I've gotten most of my information about traveling in Japan from there

Last edited:
Hi thanks! :) I'm interested in Japanese culture and history.
Thank you very much for the information.

An inexpensive, comfortable and clean place to stay in both Tokyo and Kyoto is the K's House. The staff there are multi-lingual and are very knowledgeable about the area. The K's House in Kyoto also has an all-you-can-eat buffet breakfast for about ・700.
In Kyoto I strongly recommend visiting the town of Ohara in the mountains to the north of the city (only requires train fare and bus fare to get there). Ginkakuji (the Silver Pavillion), Fushimi Inari Taisha and the Arashiyama Monkey Park are my favorite sites in Kyoto.
For more information about things to do and places to stay and what they cost, I recommend browsing wikitravel Kyoto and JapanTravel.com
I've gotten most of my information about traveling in Japan from there

What do you mean The K's House is about 700? 700 yen?
Thank you :)

Hi thanks! :) I'm interested in Japanese culture and history.
Thank you very much for the information.
History? What about it?

Culture? That goes without saying, or you wouldn't be coming. What part of J culture? Fashion (old or modern)? Music? Theater? Manga? Anime? Pearl diving? Ainu?

History? What about it?

Culture? That goes without saying, or you wouldn't be coming. What part of J culture? Fashion (old or modern)? Music? Theater? Manga? Anime? Pearl diving? Ainu?

manga, anime, art, history.

Sasori, The K's House is a Hostel chain in Japan. It's clean, inexpensive, has an amazing atmosphere and a knowledgeable staff. The K's House in Kyoto has its own bar/restaurant that serves breakfast. That breakfast is about ツ・700. It's all you can eat. You can see the K's House Kyoto, its breakfast and my favorite place in Kyoto, Ohara, in this film. I hope this helps you :)

Traveling on a Dime: Day 12 - Totoro Town Ohara, New Years Special Finale - YouTube

If you're in Tokyo, also try to get out and do some day trips to e.g. Hakone, Nikko, Kamakura, Enoshima, Boso Peninsula, Kawaguchiko, Shizuoka, Yokohama etc.

Same goes for Kyoto as there are so many things to see in Kansai.
Himeji Castle can't be entered but is almost completely visible again, so that might be worth a visit. ;)

You said that you are into anime, then don't miss the opportunity to go see the Studio Ghibli Museum in Tokyo! You need to book ahead before you go there. Just google their website, you can book there. And for the manga part, walk around in Akihabara in Tokyo and take a look at all the manga stores and cafテゥs.

In Kyoto; Ginkakuji and Fushimim Inari have already been mentioned, Go see them. My personal favourite experience from Kyoto is the izakaya culture. So nice to meet local friendly people over a couple of glasses sake and good food! Try hitting Gion during evening, but please have in ind that most pubs closes at 23:00 on weekdays.

Have a great time!

Back
Top Bottom