What's new

Translation Help With Photographs

Tim Tynan

Kouhai
25 Nov 2017
I have acquired several Japanese pictures brought back from WWII. Any help in translating the inscriptions would be great. Thank you very much for your assistance.
This first picture was once in a scrapbook. Clearly a family picture.
Japanese  Soldier-1.png

The second picture is of an individual soldier. It has an inscription on the right side of the front and on the back.
Japanese  Soldier-2.png

The third picture is of an individual soldier. It has an inscription on the and what might be a studio stamp on the back.
Japanese  Soldier-3.png

The fourth picture is of a Japanese soldier. It has the same type of studio stamp and the picture above.
Japanese Soldier-4.png
The last picture is a post card. I don't know where this is and would like to know the sender or recipient if possible.
Japanese post card.png

1)
That's a precept probably from parents to child when his joining the army.

2)
The picture is reversed. What is written on the upper side of the front is probably his name (the last kanji would be 龍), and the lower one is just a number 5189.

3)
It's the address and name;
大阪市西区九條中通四丁目四の二
富?(菱?)久雄
4-2 Kujōnakadōri 4 chōme, Nishi-ward, Osaka-city
(Tomibishi?) Hisao

It's not a studio stamp. It says "censored".

4)
The date when it's passed the censorship is July 22, 1944.

5)
創立七十周年記念大興亜行進
70th Anniversary Great Asia-development Parade

The words on the picture side is a dedication to the soldiers fighting in the front line.

The recipient of the post card is 野村良平 Nomura Ryōhei, and the sender is 前沢吉雄 Maesawa Yoshio, 中魚沼郡十日町十日町国民学校二年生 a second-year student of Tōkamachi national elementary school, Tōkamachi-town, Nakauonuma-county, Niigata prefecture, so it would be the anniversary of the foundation of this school.

1)
That's a precept probably from parents to child when his joining the army.

2)
The picture is reversed. What is written on the upper side of the front is probably his name (the last kanji would be 龍), and the lower one is just a number 5189.

3)
It's the address and name;
大阪市西区九條中通四丁目四の二
富?(菱?)久雄
4-2 Kujōnakadōri 4 chōme, Nishi-ward, Osaka-city
(Tomibishi?) Hisao

It's not a studio stamp. It says "censored".

4)
The date when it's passed the censorship is July 22, 1944.

5)
創立七十周年記念大興亜行進
70th Anniversary Great Asia-development Parade

The words on the picture side is a dedication to the soldiers fighting in the front line.

The recipient of the post card is 野村良平 Nomura Ryōhei, and the sender is 前沢吉雄 Maesawa Yoshio, 中魚沼郡十日町十日町国民学校二年生 a second-year student of Tōkamachi national elementary school, Tōkamachi-town, Nakauonuma-county, Niigata prefecture, so it would be the anniversary of the foundation of this school.

Thank you so much Toritoribe. That is a big help. I really appreciate your quick response. On picture #2 could you make out anything in the hand written inscription?

The kanji on the front is incomplete. The left side is cut off, so it's illegible. The one on the back doesn't seem like Japanese to me. It would be just a mark or something, maybe alphabets (three horizontal lines, and the third line is "s・2", for instance).

The kanji on the front is incomplete. The left side is cut off, so it's illegible. The one on the back doesn't seem like Japanese to me. It would be just a mark or something, maybe alphabets (three horizontal lines, and the third line is "s・2", for instance).

Thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom