What's new

Translation help with a Yosegaki Hinomaru Flag

Tim Tynan

Kouhai
25 Nov 2017
This flag was a vet bring back from the Philippines. I'm still learning about these flags. Could someone please help me with a number of questions.
1. Is it an authentic flag or fake?
2. Do I have the flag displayed correctly or is it upside down?
3. Translation help: I wouldn't ask for a full translation. What I am trying to learn is:
a. Are there any kanji identifying the soldier who owned this flag or the area/province/city where it's from.
b. Are there any kanji identifying the presenter.
c. Are there any unusual or special slogans. I can see one Ki Buun Chokyu.
I've enhanced the picture as best as I could. Included are 5 shots, the full flag and enlargement of each quadrant.
Thank you very much for any insights you can give on this flag.
JHY01-1.PNG
JHY01-2.PNG
JHY01-3.PNG
JHY01-4.PNG
JHY01-5.PNG

1)
I can't judge, but there are some odd phrases natives wouldn't usually miswrite such like 心勝(必勝), 大元気(お元気) or 兄の御奮闘(貴兄の御奮闘).

2)
Both sides can be correct since those are basically written outward from the center of the flag.

3) a)
There are at least three dedications to 菅野 (Sugano or Kanno), so probably this is the name of the recipient.

b)
I can see only 仙台市 Sendai-city and 矢野田青年分団 Yanota/Yanoda chapter of a young men's association, but I can't find the place name Yanota/Yanoda.

c)
Seems like not.

Some parts are too blurry to read.

Toritoribe,
Once again I find myself saying thank you so much. Your help has been fantastic and greatly appreciated.
Tim

It's his surname. The given name is not usually used without the surname to refer to the recipient except by his relatives or very close friends.

Back
Top Bottom