What's new

Tottori to Izumo trip

Lampshade

後輩
11 Mar 2016
I was planning a two week trip along the Seto Inland Sea coast of Chûgoku (from Hiroshima to Himeji and back), but I might be able to extend my stay in Japan and was thinking of exploring a bit more of the region.
So I will be going up to Tottori from Himeji and continue along the coast to Izumo before heading back down to Hiroshima Airport. I need a bit of help planning out this second part of the trip! I don't yet know too much of the area since I started planning this second half only yesterday, but here's what I'm thinking as a first draft:

Day1) Tottori (Ube jinja, Aoshima Island, Tottori Castle, Sand Museum, Sand Dunes)
Day2) Iwami day trip
Day3) Hokuei (Gosho-Aoyama Manga Factory and street). Maybe also Kurayoshi?
Day4) Mukibanda Remains + Yonago (Yonago Castle Ruins, History Museum, maybe Museum of art, Ōgamiyama Shrine)
Day5) Sakaiminato (Eshima ohashi, Mizuki Shigeru Road and Museum). How to get to Mihonoseki and Miho Shrine?
Days6-7) Matsue (Lafcadio Hearn Residence, Tawara Shrine, Gesshoji Temple, Matsue Castle, Samurai Residence, Lake Shinji)
Day8) Hoonji + Harashika Hall + Quilt Museum + Izumo Cultural Tradition Hall
Day9) Izumo (Izumo-taisha, Bentenjima, Museum of Ancient Izumo, Taisha Goen Hiroba Road Station, Former Taisha Station)
Day10) Hinomisaki Shrine and rocks. How to get to Gakuen-ji Temple?

I'd love recommendations on what more to do in the area, whether it be in the cities I've mentioned or other towns close by. Especially between Tottori and Yonago as it seems like there's a lot of land there in which I have nothing planned.
I won't be going to Mt.Mitoku (no solo hiking allowed) or Mt.Daisen since I will be doing quite a bit of walking and hiking elsewhere; I don't think I'll have the energy to do so.
I can add more days if necessary.
Thank you!

What are you going to use as the means of transportation? It's hard to go around those places without a car or taxi. Also, the schedule is very tight. It will take a long time just to move from one place to another.
I highly recommend both Mt.Mitoku/Misasa Onsen and Mt.Daisen./Flower Park, regardless of the seasons.
Tottori Prefctural Flower Park ≪Hanakairo≫

Here's a thread of a member who went to Daisen.
Info/ Advice on Daisen (大山) | Japan Forum

I would cut out a few of the temples and stop and smell the roses. I don't think you need more destinations than you already have.

I will be using public transportation and my own two legs to get around. Taxis are too expensive for my budget, so they're out of the question.
Thank you both for the advice! I have decided to take out a few shrines and places that are harder to get to and slow down a bit my pace. The roses and flower park sound like a great idea.

Back
Top Bottom