What's new

2 week Tokyo trip

ic...thanks...how does the payment system go? Do I just pay once I get on a train, or do you buy tickets at whatever station you happen to be...and then board the corresponsing trains to each destination? Thx~~~~`

Here's some info on the trains.

You'll need to purchase a ticket before you enter the gates to the platforms. At each set of ticket machines, you should see large maps with color-coded train lines that tell you which stations are on each line. Find your destination and purchase a ticket for the amount specified. If you're unsure, you could always buy the cheapest ticket and find a "fare adjustment" machine at your destination. Putting your ticket in will let you pay the difference.

Most maps have the names in romaji, but if you're worried about it, there are plenty of places to get romaji only maps.

spacejase777 said:
thanks armand~
I was wondering, should I buy a rail pass if I plan on staying within Tokyo? Or would I be using subways within the city? Thanks

No. The Rail Pass is only good for JR trains and buses. The subways are generally non-JR, so the pass would do you no good. As mentioned, the Rail Pass is worthwhile if you plan to use the Shinkansens and JR lines outside of Tokyo.

spacejase777 said:
wow, thanks a lot. How much cash would you guys recommend carrying around in yen (eg usd)?

That depends upon your spending habits. Generally, I'll take around $1,500 to $2,000 for a 8 to 9-day stay. You'll have to figure out how much you plan to spend per day on lodging, meals, transportation, souvenirs and entertainment when you plan your budget. I make hotel/ryokan reservations before I leave home and I know how much per day that'll cost me. I try to overestimate a little to make sure that I have more than enough. My most recent trip (in April to Tokyo and Sendai) I took $2,000 with me and I came home with $300.

Thanks Hiroyuki,
These are some excellent links! Thanks for taking the time looking for them..I think I have enough information to a have a great time...thx to all of u.

I was wondering if it was ok to put aerosol hairpspary or shaving gel in my check in baggage? I know that these items might bring up red flags and prompt a check. Would it be better to just have the hairspray/gel in my carry on? Thanks~

spacejase777 said:
I was wondering if it was ok to put aerosol hairpspary or shaving gel in my check in baggage? I know that these items might bring up red flags and prompt a check. Would it be better to just have the hairspray/gel in my carry on? Thanks~

The times I've had my suitcase checked (twice) was due to aerosal sprays. I minimized it the last time to switching to roll-on and the only can was shaving cream (travel size). No hassles.

Back
Top Bottom