What's new

Tokyo cost estimation

geokit

後輩
18 Jul 2003
Hi everyone !

I am planning to move next May to Tokyo for a two year training program. It includes 12 month intensive language training in Naganuma School (I think is located in Shibuya area) and the rest of the time is spent in seminars, work etc. The monthly income will be 360000 yen and I am wondering the following:

- is it preferable to rent a furnished apartment ?
- what will be the monthly cost for food?
- since I plan to budget 120000 yen maximum for rent will the remaining 240000 yen be enough for each month?

Your info will be valuable
Thanks !!!

Hi Geokit and welcome to the forum.

360.000 yen is more than enough for daily expenses. The average salary in Tokyo is about 250.000 yen and I know some Japanese who survive on 150.000 yen a month.

I spend about 20.000 yen/month on food, exluding restaurants (but including take-away bento). Food is very cheap in Tokyo compared to Paris or London. It's easy to eat in a restaurant for an average of 800 yen (from 500 to 1000+ for anything like ramen, pasta, chinese, tendon/katsudon/magurodon, etc.).

The only problem is for accommodation. If you only stay a year, you won't be able to rent a normal flat/apartment as you'll have to buy all the furniture, pay about 5 month deposit, "reikin", etc. and contracts are for 2 years minimum.

So, you can either rent a "monthly mansion" (furnished apartement) for about 130.000yen a month in central Tokyo or stay at a "gaijin house" : good point it's cheap (from 40.000 shared room or 70.000 private room), they usually have free internet and satelite TV and you can meet people ; bad point, you'll have to share the kitchen and bathroom and it can be noisy in some.

I suggest that you should have a look at my site to have an idea of what's available on the market for both monthly/weekly mansions and gaijin houses. check here

Just wondering, what exactly is a furnished apartment? An apartment with furniture, tv, tables, etc?
That "gaijin house" sounds like a college dorm. *lol* Except probably with older people.

Cost matters....

Is it possible to estimate the cost of a monthly mansion with private bathroom and kitchen in Shibuya?

Last edited:
Just wondering, what exactly is a furnished apartment? An apartment with furniture, tv, tables, etc?

Yes, exactly. A furnished apartment in the U.S. usually has all the basic items -- bed, dining table & chairs, couch, tv & kitchen appliances as well as some cooking utensils & dishware.

Is it possible to estimate the cost of a monthly mansion with private bathroom and kitchen in Shibuya?

You should be able to find something decent for Y100,000/month.

Re: Cost matters....

Originally posted by geokit

Didn't you check the list of monthly mansion on my site ? All the locations, sizes and prices are written for all Tokyo.

I don't think 100.000 yen is enough. That's ok for a normal apartment, but a monthly mansion would cost at least 130-150.000 yen/month in a place like Shibuya.

Back
Top Bottom