What's new

The Japanese TV Police

heh the only time I ever encountered an NHK man was my first month or so in Japan in my Nova aparto. I was home alone and had no idea what was happening.

My Japanese at that point was so low that the guy seemed to just give up and left.

This is a classic I enjoy every single time. *faved* :devilish:
Unfortunately here in Korea they've added in on top of the electricity bill ! No way out ... 😭

Can't see what his problem is. We have a TV licence fee in the UK. It is the way the BBC is funded. Everyone who owns a TV must pay this. If not you could end up going to court and being fined, even if you do not watch the BBC. I think the top fine is about 1000 pounds. As every TV is registered they do know if you haven't payed. Why end up with a criminal record and be a thousand pounds down, when it is easier to pay the licence fee?

For the first 10 years I lived there I never knew about the law and no one ever came to my apartment asking for it. After I moved to another apartment they came and we paid. Heck I like NHK anyway. I like the morning 15 minute dramas that go on for 6 months, the Karaoke and other musical shows and the new years shows among others.

Here in the states, the PBS station is funded by the government and telethons about three times a year. Donations are optional. If you don't donate, it's still free and unlike Europe, TV's are not required to be registered. But with cable and satellite these days, I'm sure they know who has a TV and what they are watching and recording.

This reminds me about that damn Universal-something service tax/fee that's tacked onto our phone bills the U.S. government cooked up here. This is supposedly for wiring up poor areas for cable/internet access.

I watch very little television these days. Cable doesn't interest me (especially at $50.00+ per month).

satellite decoders are the better way: you pay for the card, this enables the channels.

just imagine people are using television sets for dvd/video/game consoles

right now i have a small tv set connected to my sega, indeed i have not tried to receive tv programmes. i highly doubt i would get more than two channels.

now, i do not expect the tv police, the aerial antenna is obviously disconnected.

in my opinion, if people have some money, they should pay this license, as it supports workplaces. especially not to enter long discussions, with japanese officer. guess he communicates this to his workmates, in a restaurant, when they had a few drinks. and, this is hillarious for the japanese- embarassing for america.
"indeed, i make an assumption"

television requires newschannels. it does not matter if the stations are watched or not. if no programmes are watched, i.e. console play purpose, it does not require a licence under circumstances. this requires at least the antenna obviously disconnected.

A little update from 2 years ago might be a debate whether the cell phone should be the receiving apparatus as NHK describes.

A little update from 2 years ago might be a debate whether the cell phone should be the receiving apparatus as NHK describes.
This is an excellent point! My cell phone can receive and show television transmissions. If I didn't even own a TV, would my cell phone then make me obligated to sign a contract with NHK?

Theoretically the answer may be yes.

I wish NHK would promote more Japan or Japanese opinions to other countries like the Chinese state-run media, instead of paying money to MLB. (I like baseball, though)

Can't see what his problem is. We have a TV licence fee in the UK. It is the way the BBC is funded. Everyone who owns a TV must pay this. If not you could end up going to court and being fined, even if you do not watch the BBC. I think the top fine is about 1000 pounds. As every TV is registered they do know if you haven't payed. Why end up with a criminal record and be a thousand pounds down, when it is easier to pay the licence fee?

I've got not problem paying the license fee in the UK, because:

1) TV in the UK is wonderful, so I'd feel guilty not paying
2) There's a high chance of getting caught if you don't

I've got no problem not paying the license fee in Japan because:
1) TV in Japan is utter cr@p, so I'd be livid if I had to pay for it
2) There seems to be a tiny chance of getting caught

Back
Top Bottom