What's new

The exam for my high school students (2)

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Hello, native English speakers,

Would you please check my English and questions? Does each question have only one answer?

Q1 Choose the correct word.
1 My brother prefers math ( on in for to at than of ) Latin.
2 The success of the project depends ( on in for to at than of ) you.
3 That woman kept insisting ( on in for to at than of ) her innocence.
4 Owing ( on in for to at than of ) his carelessness, the project failed.
5 It's time we got rid ( on in for to at than of ) these old toys.
6 More money should be spent ( on in for to at than of ) education.
7 You must pay attention ( on in for to at than of ) what I say.
8 Who is responsible ( on in for to at than of ) this accident?
9 Japan became independent ( on in for to at than of ) the US in 1952.
10 Tom is superior ( on in for to at than with ) Mike in Physics.
11 There is no air-conditioning there, so be prepared to fan your youngest child ( on in for to at than with ) the programme for almost two solid hours.
12 You should not look down ( on in for to at with of ) poor people.
13 The process is known ( on in for to at than of ) Americans as the "melting pot".
14 My wife decided that we were lacking ( on in for to at than of ) culture.
15 ( On In For To At Of ) general, people like to think they are cleaner than others.

16 A famous remark [(a) concern (b) concerns (c) concerned (d) concerning ] Queen Elizabeth I of England (1558-1603) tells us that she took a bath once a month "whether she needed to or not."
17 People react to this today [(a) in (b) with (c) on (d) for ] surprise: since most people in the developed world take a daily bath or shower, to take a bath once a month seems very dirty.

18 Thirdly, and most importantly, do not buy tickets for the front rows. We did, in the [(a) front (b) real (c) much (d) very ] first row.
19 And I spent the whole night [(a) terrify (b) terrifying (c) terrified (d) terrifies ] because the entire audience could see us.
20 I had to pull him back [(a) to (b) in (c) by (d) for ] his pants.
21 Any chance of [(a) appear (b) appeared (c) being appeared (d) appearing ] cultured after that was going to be difficult.
22 The monarch who succeeded Elizabeth, James I, is reported [(a) to wash (b) to have washed (c) to washing (d) to have washing ] only his fingers.
23 We spend a lot of time [(a) clean (b) cleaned (c) cleaning (d) to clean ] our bodies.
24 In the 17th century, the clean Turkish people, who took a bath several times a week, were viewed [(a) as (b) with (c) for (d) in ] suspicion by dirty Europeans.
25 In much of Europe, the two centuries which [(a) following (b) be following (c) followed (d) were followed ] Elizabeth I were probably the dirtiest in recorded history.
26 The religion's [(a) emphasis (b) empty (c) emigrant (d) emperor ] on the spirit resulted, for several centuries, in some Christians neglecting to wash their bodies.
27 The rest of the audience will not appreciate it when they eat sweets out of bags that [(a) take (b) make (c) do (d)give ] loud noises.

Q2 Put a suitable word in the blank.
Two minutes into the opera and my youngest son Jack leaned so far over the orchestra pit I had to pull him back by his pants.
[My answer is "that".]

Q3 Put the words in the correct order. [Does each question have only one answer?]
1 In the most powerful English-speaking country, the USA, it is the speakers of the dominant language, English, [ have / who / fearful / become ] for the future of their language.
2 [ showing / content / with / not ] his underpants, he took off a shoe and started conducting the opera with it as a baton.
3 [ a / faced / such / dramatic / with ] rise in the influence of Spanish, many English-speaking Americans have reacted defensively.
4 My son took off a shoe and started [ the opera / as / conducting / with it ] a baton.
5 The position of English, [ but / in the USA / not / also / just ] in the world, seems to be unquestionable for the near future.

Q Do all the sentences below sound natural?
1 It never occurred to me that Mary would win the race.
2 American people thought that this habit may be caused by the inferior Japanese culture.
3 The more we study a foreign language, the more difficult it becomes.
4 Strangely enough, it is rich people who have become fearful for the future of their country.
5 Japan has not declared Japanese to be their official language.
6 I doubt that English will be the world's premier language forever.
7 I might as well have stayed at home as going to the concert.

That's all.

Thanks in advance.

Hirashin

On your Q1 section the first one should have more in the sentence. "My brother prefers math more than Latin."

In your Q3 section, it was difficult even for me to try and put the words in order for sentence 5. I think I was unsure as to what the sentence was supposed to mean overall. I eventially did put it in the right order and there is only 1 way I can see that was correct.

And for your last section the only one that doesn't really sound natural is the last one. I would say, "I should have stayed home instead of going to the concert." if you prefer the words you were using it would be more like "I might as well have stayed home instead of going to the concert."

---------- Post added at 15:52 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

On a side note. For my sentence, "I should have stayed home instead of going to the concert." you can add a semicolon since the first part can be a sentence. "I should have stayed home; instead of going to the concert." it changes the focus of the sentence though, to where staying home seems more important than not going to the concert.

6 has two possibles = on + for both work
8 has two possibles = for + in
10 has two possibles= to + than
12 has two possibles=on + at
14 has two possibles=in + at

I'm not certain both answers are pefect by grammar rules , but you will hear people use them when speaking.

Uncle Frank

On 14 I would probably not add any of them. "My wife decided that we were lacking culture." sounds just fine to me, if I had to choose though I would choose in. And I think for 12 on would be more figurative and at would be more literal.

My opinion differs in a few respects.

In Q1.1 "My brother prefers math to Latin." is correct (in American English that is; in Britain it would be "maths"). "prefers ... more than ..." is not very good English in my opinion since "prefers" already includes the idea of "more than".

I would be happy that the expected answer in Q1.6 is "on".

I would be happy that the expected answer in Q1.8 is "for".

"than" is not acceptable to me in Q1.10. I suppose this may be a US/UK difference.

"at" is not acceptable to me in Q1.14.

Q4.5 should read "Japan has not declared Japanese to be its official language."

In Q3.7, the suggestion "I should have stayed home; instead of going to the concert." is incorrectly punctuated.

Uncle Frank, I would not normally mention such a thing, but since this is a "Learning English" forum, I hope you don't mind my pointing out that you should not put a space before a comma. I notice you do this regularly, so it seems it is a systematic error and not just a typo.

Uncle Frank, I would not normally mention such a thing, but since this is a "Learning English" forum, I hope you don't mind my pointing out that you should not put a space before a comma. I notice you do this regularly, so it seems it is a systematic error and not just a typo.

Without my wife looking over my shoulder and correcting me, I am a loose cannon on the keyboard. Hirashin knows to take my answers with a wary eye.

Uncle Frank

Oooops I forgot that you need to have two independent clauses to be able to use a semicolon. Sorry for the mistake. "I should have stayed home; but I went to the concert." That is just so I don't feel bad for making such a big mistake. Please ignore for your purpose of a test.

Wow! A lot of replies! Thank you very much for your great help, OoTmaster, Frank, and Eeky. You are wonderful!

Hirashin

I have a further question about Q2.
>Q2 Put a suitable word in the blank.
>Two minutes into the opera and my youngest son Jack leaned so far over the orchestra pit I had to pull him back by his pants. [My answer is "that".]

Two of my students put "and" in the blank. Do you think it is another correct answer?

Hirashin

They may be right?

>Two minutes into the opera and my youngest son Jack leaned so far over the orchestra pit ツ ツ ツ ツ ツ I had to pull him back by his pants. [My answer is "that".]
Two of my students put "and" in the blank. Do you think it is another correct answer?
Because the word "SO" is used instead of leaned "TOO" far , I think 'that" is the better answer. But , I believe you could use "and" and be correct also.There may be a rule I don't know about though , so better to wait for a few more replys.
Uncle Frank

>Two minutes into the opera and my youngest son Jack leaned so far over the orchestra pit I had to pull him back by his pants. [My answer is "that".]

Hirashin
"so ... that" is the expected pattern. The use of "and" requires "so" to be understood as a general intensifier, which is a usage more often encountered in conversational expressions like "He was so rude!", "It's so hot today!", etc. It does not seem a great fit in your sentence.

Back
Top Bottom