What's new

Question The answers to the questions of Part 2 of "God's hands"

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Dear native English speakers,
would you check my answers to the questions?

Part2 Text

Losing your father must have been a heavy blow to you.
Yes, it was devastating. Although I didn't perform the operation, I just couldn't help feeling some responsibility for my father's death. At the same time I felt that he sacrificed his life to show me what not to do as a surgeon. I decided to do everything I could to become a skilled surgeon so that I could save the lives of many patients who needed my help. After a day's work at the hospital, I used to practice stitching all through the night. Whenever I heard about great surgeons, I went to see them to observe their operations. I asked them all sorts of questions. Ever since those days, I have been single-minded in constantly trying to improve my skills as a surgeon.

So you learned a lot from your father's death.
Yes, absolutely. You see, the slightest mistake can put your patients at risk. This is probably one of the most important lessons I learned from my father. I know I'm responsible for the life of every one of the patients I meet, so I make the best possible effort to save their lives. I say to myself, "Never cut corners. Just do your job." The word "compromise" is not in my dictionary.

Some people call you "a surgeon with God's hands." How do you feel about that?
Well, I don't think that this metaphor works for me. What you really need is not "God's hands" but careful planning before an operation and the ability to calculate and anticipate things. I have so far performed more than 7,000 operations, and this experience helps me to anticipate what course of action to take at critical points. In an operation, it is important to make full use of the five senses so that you can respond quickly and accurately to any situation that may occur.

Q1 Dr. Amano felt that his father sacrificed his life to teach him something. What was it?
My answer : What not to do as a surgeon.

Q2 What lesson did Dr. Amano learn from his father?
My answer : He learned that the slightest mistake can/could put your patients at risk.

Q3 What does Dr. Amano mean when he says, "Never cut corners"?
My answer : He means that you should not choose easier ways to do.

I guess there can be many answers to Q3. Don't you think so?

Hirashin

I think your answers are good. For Q3, it's ok to find an easier way if it doesn't add risk or reduce safety. So I think I would say He means that you should always be careful and avoid making mistakes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom