What's new

Textbook Chapter 3 Review

ledojaeger

後輩
19 Jul 2015
Hello,
I have to review 8 grammar points of my 3rd intermediate textbook chapter. As before, I've made my own sentences with them to see if I can properly use them. Thank you in advance for any correction.

1)vないで
日本では、「いただきます」という前に食べないでください。"In Japan, don't eat before saying 'itadakimasu'."

2)〜ていただけないでしょうか
よかったら、この宿題を見ていただけないでしょうか。"If it's alright, could you take a look at this homework?"

3)〜ば〜ほど
日本語で話せば話すほど上手になるでしょう。"The more you speak in Japanese the more skilled you'll become."

4)以外
このゲームのやり方以外知ってますか。"Do you know how to play other games besides this?"

5)必ずしも〜わけではない
必ずしも日本に長い間住んだら日本語を習うわけではない。"It's not necessarily true that if you live in Japan for a long time you'll learn Japanese."

6)ばかり
安いラーメンばかり食べるなら、健康に悪いでしょう。"If you eat nothing but ramen, it'll probably be bad for your health."

7)なるべく
なるべく帰った方がいいですよ。"You should return home as soon as possible."

8)べき
目上の方と話したら、敬語を使うべきです。"If you're talking to someone of higher status, you should use keigo."

4)
The word order should be このゲーム以外のやり方/遊び方.

5)
I would say 日本に長い間住んでも必ずしも日本語を覚えるというわけではない。.

7)
なるべく早く帰った方がいいですよ。
You missed "soon".

8)
目上の方/人と話すなら、敬語を使うべきです。
The result follows ~たら conditional.
e.g.
目上の人と話したら、緊張して敬語を使えませんでした。
目上の人と話したら、敬語をちゃんと使えていたかどうか後で確認するようにしましょう。

Thank you very much Toritoribe.

For 4), thanks, I was pretty confident my own word order wouldn't hold. Nice to know I can use 'igai no'.

For 5), I understand that kanarazushimo ~ wake dewa nai comes as a set phrase. I notice in the grammar of the corrected sentence that the two thoughts (Even if you live in Japan for a long time / It's not necessarily true that you'll learn Japanese) are separate with the construction kanarazushimo ~ wake dewa nai sandwiching the second.

For 7), thanks. I have to be more careful about translations.

For 8), thank you. So, after ~tara is usually a result, and that's why you changed it to 'nara', because 'You should use keigo' is not a result?

Back
Top Bottom