X が移る
Y が X を移す

先月閉店したお店が隣町に移りました
店長がお店を隣町に移しました

See?

今日は!

I'm back again with a set a questions.

この夏、限定で最大7,000円相当がもらえます。

I'm having a hard time understanding the sentence above because I don't get what 「限定」implies in this sentence. I know that it means "limitation" or "restriction" or something along those lines, but these meanings don't make sense in the sentence, at least for me. What does the sentence mean? (By the way, this is a question that I got from a drill exercise for 新JLPT N3).

And,

たぶん今週、目下の日本の人と会うんですが、何てあいさつすればいいですか。
I'm probably going to meet a Japanese person who is younger than me this week, and I'm wondering how I should say my greetings.

「初めまして。〇〇と申します。」って初対面の目下の人に言ったら、おかしいと思われると思いますが。。。「僕の名前は〇〇。よろしく頼む。」<-こんなに言ってもいいですか。
I think I'm going to be looked at in a weird way if I say「初めまして。〇〇と申します。」 to a person who is younger than me on the first meeting. So, would it be okay to say 「僕の名前は〇〇。よろしく頼む。」

What would be a more natural way of greeting a person younger than me on the first day?

By the way, I'm male so I'd prefer a more masculine way of saying things, not the girlish/feminine ~の endings, for example.

Thank you as always! ( ノдヾ)

1)
Is the position of the comma correct? Isn't it この夏限定で、? The supposed meaning must be "only this summer", but the position of the comma is odd.

2)
年下 is more common for "younger". 目下 can have that meaning, but it's more likely used as "lower position".
Do not use greetings such like 僕の名前は〇〇。よろしく頼む。. It sounds rather, rather rude and arrogant. Polite language is preferred for strangers even if they are younger than you (except children, of course). I would say 初めまして。〇〇です。.

Is the position of the comma correct? Isn't it この夏限定で、? The supposed meaning must be "only this summer", but the position of the comma is odd.

I now realize that there is a typo on the book. As you've pointed out, the sentence makes sense when the comma is placed after 「限定」as in 「この夏限定で、」.

年下 is more common for "younger". 目下 can have that meaning, but it's more likely used as "lower position".

Ah, yes. 「年下」sounds much more appropriate. No wonder why I had this feeling that something was off a bit.

Do not use greetings such like 僕の名前は〇〇。よろしく頼む。. It sounds rather, rather rude and arrogant.

Thank you for pointing this out. You really saved me from losing face.

Polite language is preferred for strangers even if they are younger than you (except children, of course). I would say 初めまして。〇〇です。.

「初めまして。〇〇です。」sound simple and nice. Thank you!

Toritoribeさんのように日本語を鋭く使える日まで勉強しなくちゃ。^^;;

Hello, fellow JREF members! (--)(__)

下の二つの文章が理解しがたいですが、ちょっと教えていただけませんか。

(1)交通機関が不通になった場合は休講とします。

このunderlined部分がどんな意味か分かりかねます。交通機関が。。。不通になった?!(゚.゚)
「連絡などが切れた」の意味ですか。そして「underlined」を日本語でどう書きますか。

(2)彼は歌手デビューする絶好の機会を取られた

Does the sentence mean that the subject took the opportunity into his hands or got it taken away by someone else? I'm confused.

(By the way, is there a quantifier for 「文章」? We use 「~枚」 for flat objects, 「~軒」 for houses, and 「~匹」 for animals. So, how about 「文章」? Is it correct to say 「二行の文章」?

1)
when the train/bus service is interrupted

下線(部)

2)
It's the latter, since the subject of 取られた is 彼. 奪われた is more common in this case, though.

行 is a counter for "lines", so 二行の文章 might refer to a single sentence of two lines. 二つの文章 is correct.

when the train/bus service is interrupted

Aha. That makes sense now. I didn't know 「交通機関」refers to modes of transportation. In South Korea, we use「交通手段」to refer to buses, subway trains, bullet trains, and other modes of transportation. Is「交通手段」used as well among Japanese people? Just curious.

It's the latter, since the subject of 取られた is 彼. 奪われた is more common in this case, though.

Right. 「奪う」。Just a quick question, though. Is the following sentence valid:「彼は歌手デビューする絶好の機会取られた。」(if I want to say the subject was able to grab that opportunity.)

行 is a counter for "lines", so 二行の文章 might refer to a single sentence of two lines. 二つの文章 is correct.

Very sharp as usual. Thank you, again.

交通手段 refers to the means of transportation, for instance, 学校に行くのに使う交通手段 (thus, "walking" can be a 交通手段).

The potential form is 取れた.
から歌手デビューする絶好の機会が取られた。 means "the opportunity was taken from him", but 彼歌手デビューする絶好の機会が取られた。 is for "the opportunity was given". 奪われた and 与えられた are more common, respectively, though.

今日は。(--)(__)
Great to be back here again.

下の表現の意味や使い方について質問があります。
I have a few question regarding the "subtle" differences betweeen some expressions.

(1) 「~がたい」 vs. 「~かねる」
(2) 「見る」vs. 「見掛ける」
(3) 「しまう」 vs. 「終わる」

For item (1), I see that both expressions imply difficulty in doing something, but I am unsure as to when or in what context they are used. For example, 「信じがたい」and「信じかねる」seem almost identical to me, but I want to know the difference between them, however subtle, if there is.

For item (2), am I correct in stating that 「見る」means "to see" whereas「見掛ける」means to see as well but implies "seeing by chance" (i.e. He happened to see a lost child (even if that was not his intention))?

For item (3), I want to focus on their definition "to end" or "to finish." Can「しまう」and「終わる」be used interchangeably? For example,

「仕事がしまう」=?「仕事が終わる」

いつもの分かりやすい解説、ありがとうございます。

1)
がたい basically can be attached only with specific verbs, mostly verbs about abstract or mental things. It sounds written-word-like, and the base of the judgement is often logical or objective.
かねる can be used for "not to do volitionally".
e.g.
○危険な場所には行きかねる。(the nuance is closer to "not want to go/not to go by one's will")
×危険な場所には行きがたい。(cf. 行きにくい/行きづらい)

2)
Yes, 見かける is used only for non-volitional action.

3)
しまう is transitive. Some dictionaries have an intransitive definition, but it's almost never used recently.

今日は!(--)(__)

質問したいことがありますが、よろしくお願いします。

(1)「運び去る」というのはどんな意味ですか。私の辞典には収録されていないので。

(2)次の文の「意」はどのように読むんですか。

「訪ねる」は、様子を知ろうとして、その場所に出かける、または、ある目的から人に会いに行く

(3)「起こす」と「興す」の違いは何でしょうか。

1)
運び去るの英語・英訳 - goo辞書 英和和英
運び去るの英語・英訳 - 英和辞典・和英辞典 Weblio辞書

2)

3)
興す is used for "to set up/start/establish/found (a company, business, foundation, organization or like that)".

4 新しく物事を始める。興す。「事業を起す」
おこす【起(こ)す】の意味 - goo国語辞書

3〈設立する〉set up; establish; start; found

仕事[店]を興す
set up [start] a (new) business

《口語》 set up shop
会社を興す

establish [found, start] a company.
起こすの英語・英訳 - 英和辞典・和英辞典 Weblio辞書

Back
Top Bottom